FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:28:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC ute door locks  (Read 3821 times)
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2002, 07:50:00 AM »

My 59 ute has an exterior key lock on the passenger's door but not even a hole to accommodate one on the driver's side......what's up with that???

There's a slot cut on both doors so an escutcheon can secure a lock cylinder but.......again, no lock!

Is this 1959 security?......bandit goes to stick a screwdriver into driver's side lock.....no lock, so he steals the Ford parked next to it?  Shocked

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
coolaride
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 08:42:49 AM »

hey there ,

this is normal .

as far as i know all commercial vehicles had this including
vans , standard wagons and utes .

so yes , you had to enter the passenger side of the car.

hope this helps

coolaride Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2002, 10:46:52 AM »

GMH used the same door frame for all models (hence the slot in the frame of the door, just made a different skin for the specials and the standards.

Ken
fe_buster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 08:32:03 AM »

:-/ never understood the idea myself, but has something to do with unlocking the car from the the safty of the footpath. Standard sedans only had one lock to. I made a cardboard template from the passenger door, flipped it over and marked the drivers door,drilled a starter hole, then hand filed the rest. Put your passenger lock in drivers door and a dummy one in passenger side.  Too easy!  Wink
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 12:43:20 AM »

There's a summary offence in the NSW legislature from the "Motor Traffic Regulations" Body of Law (of 1935) which states that it is an offence to:
Open door of vehicle so as to cause danger to self/to other/to impede traffic.
It was repealed in 1999.  Presumably one of the benefits of spending a little extra cash on a Special was that you had the luxury of legally unlocking and entering the vehicle via the driver's door in the comfort of your own driveway or garage Roll Eyes

The fact that the law was repealed doesn't mean that it's now legal to endanger traffic in this way (of course).  That offence is now covered by the "Australian Road Rules under the Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) (Road Rules) Regulation 1999":
A person must not cause a hazard to any person or vehicle by opening a door of a vehicle, leaving a door of a vehicle open, or getting off, or out of, a vehicle

What a mouthful Wink
cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 03:57:53 AM »

.....so we're saying in classic legislative deductive reasoning that we have removed any possibility of hazard or inconvenience from someone opening a streetside door from the outside..........but you could still collect a bicyclist or have your door taken off by a lorrie if you opened it from the inside.  (I wouldn't have thought that anyone bothered to lock their doors in Australia in 1959 anyway!)

Thanks very much for the in depth study.  I like the idea of "100% stock" and I think this wrinkle just adds to the ute's personality!      Wink

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 11:46:06 AM »

A whole bunch of sensitive new age guys
Havent any of you heard of forced chivalry..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: