FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 04:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gelignite Jack Murray's FC Special Sedan?  (Read 9940 times)
Ingrid

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2004, 05:18:30 AM »

Due to a lack of technical knowledge and limited space I am reluctantly offering my 2 tone blue FC Special Sedan for sale. The car is in very good original condition and hopefully I will be able to add photos in the next few days. The car is very straight and as far as I know has no rust. Since buying the car I have had a small rust bubble cut from the bottom of the driver’s door skin, and another small piece of rust removed from the bottom of the passenger side guard (where it joins the door). The man I bought the car from told me it was resprayed and the engine reconditioned in the mid to late 1990’s. I have had the gearbox reconditioned about 1 month ago and it is still under warranty. This car is currently my regular daily driver and is very reliable. To my knowledge this car has been a daily driver since it was bought new. The car still has the original number plates and has never been unregistered to my knowledge. The car has the original aftermarket AWA radio that still works (Although it is difficult to change the station but 2CH comes through perfectly) and I have the instruction and warranty booklet for this. The car also has a heater but I don't know the brand. The interior is original and the seats are in good order – the armrests on the door trims have cracked and peeled. The rubber floor mats are also original and have cracked over time.  I have a sun visor that has been resprayed to match the skyline blue roof, but do not have the chrome side clips required to install it. I also have the original roof racks that are also skyline blue.

I bought the car from an elderly gentleman who owned the car since 1960. I have the warranty for the AWA radio installed in 1960 and the rego papers from when I bought it showing the same name to verify this. When I bought the car, the gentleman’s son told me a story about this car being purchased by his father in 1960 from Gelignite Jack Murray. I do not have the original warranty card or anything else to prove his claim. I have contacted the RTA and they have told me that their records do not go back this far so they could not verify the original owner.

ID numbers for anyone who’s interested are:

ID:                 FC-225-10920-S
TRIM:             267-630
PAINT:                        253-2037
Chassis No:       8-20072-S
Engine No:       L562226

I paid $5,300.00 for the car and would really just like to get my money back. If anyone wants any more information please email me. The car is currently located in the Sutherland Shire of Sydney NSW and is registered until 17 October 2004.
Ingrid

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 10:09:08 AM »

here are some pics of the car:

email me for more information or more photos
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 10:30:21 AM »

Ingrid
        Thats one very nice looking car you have. Shame you have to sell it. But you shouldnt have to much trouble there.

Best of luck
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 08:56:12 AM »

Ingrid,
I have decoded your car for you. I also assumed that you missed a code, and as your car is the same as my Grace I put them in for you (secondary paint code).

Cheers Jim
Result Explnation
NO: FC-225-10920-S,  Vehicle is an FC Special Sedan, the 10,920th manufactured in Sydney, NSW.

Trim
267-630,  The Exterior Trim Code (267) describes this car as Two-Tone: Skyline Blue over Crystal Blue.
The Interior Trim Code (630) refers to: Viscount Blue & Black.

Paint
253-2037,  The Primary (bonnet, guards) colour is Crystal Blue (in DUCO Lacquer)

256-2051,   The secondary colour is Skyline Blue (in DUCO Lacquer)

The vehicle was painted in the Late 1958 scheme style (based on the ID No)

Chassis Number
8-20072-S The vehicle was assembled during 1958, and was the 19,072nd FC (in any bodystyle) assembled in Sydney, NSW.

Engine Number
L562226 Manufacture date (based on engine number) is April 1959

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 09:33:32 AM »

Where's Fast Eddie Huh
He's collecting BLUE FCs now Grin Grin Grin
ACE Cool
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 10:36:09 AM »

Where's Fast Eddie  
He's collecting BLUE FCs now  

"Fast Eddie" has had to slow down.

A direct instruction from Mrs Fast Eddie

Although it is a very nice looking car.........and blue is my colour.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 10:41:03 AM by Fast_Eddie » Logged
Ingrid

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 09:31:12 AM »

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate your comments and would really like to see it go to a club member/restorer/enthusiast - it has been a very good car and I just wish I had the skills and knowledge to restore it myself so I didn't have to sell.

Cheers

Ingrid
Ingrid

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 09:46:36 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have had an offer of $3,500 - I really did want a bit more and wanted to throw back to the forum to see if this was possible..........

Cheers

Ingrid
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 10:23:47 AM »

Ingrid
It is really hard to make a judgement from photos, so without seeing the car one could not really say.

One thing I will say and have heard on numerous occassions is: A car is only worth what a person is willing to pay.

However is only worth what you will except. The decission is yours in the end.

Cheers Jim

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 12:35:03 AM »

The starting point for a valuation would be the condition of the body. Whether there is any rust, accident damage etc. Judging by this photo -

the body is pretty straight and rust free, I would guess it's worth a lot more than $3,500 if the rest of the body is sound.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 01:45:43 AM »

Ingrid,

Jim has hit the nail on the head, it's worth what someone will pay for it, and won't be sold for less than you're prepared to accept.

Shannons Insurance offer a valuation service.  Why don't you take the car over to them - St Leonards I think - and get them to look at it?  There's plenty to be said for an independent opinion.

Visit http://www.shannons.com.au for the address and contact details.  I think it's prudent to ring and book in, not just rock up.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 05:28:07 AM »

Great Idea Ret.
I would go and have a look at the car myself, with the intention of a matching pair of two tone blue 1958 FC Specials. (A Brother for Grace)
However at this point in time have not quite got the money in the bank. Soon I hope as I am getting sick of letting these cars pass by.

Cheers Jim

Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 06:08:03 AM »

I know a few guys from our club (Southern Sydney Early Holden Car Club - at Sylvania) live just around the corner from your car, and have mentioned it previously as a potential member car etc, but never actually got around to approaching you... I can run it past some of them and see what they reckon price-wise if you like, but they are FJ and FB drivers.... so they mightn't know. Personally I've only driven past the car once a few months ago so can't really comment either.

I can also place an ad in our next newsletter if that helps... as probably Richard will in Sideplate...

Good luck with it anyway and sorry it's gotta go...
Cheers
Les...

Ingrid

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 09:54:32 AM »

Hi again,

Thanks very much for all your comments and advice, it is very much appreciated.... I'll do some more research and gauge any further interest and try to establish a bottom line...

Thanks again

Ingrid
crystel_angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 03:49:15 AM »

Just wondering if the car was for some reason still for sale? and if so, have you decided on a price?
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 05:57:07 AM »

You might want to try emailing as I doubt this person visits here often.
ingrid17@optusnet.com.au
Regards
Alex

crystel_angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 08:37:22 AM »

thanks mate Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)