FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FB Ute comments  (Read 2178 times)
Scott

Early Holden Fan

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

I was fortunate enough to purchase good original FB ute recently & i have a few questions regarding the car 1. At about 60 miles an hour the engine seems to be reving quite hard,and quite noisy (by 2days cars standard) is this normal? or does the engine require timing or some other adjustment. 2. The steering seems a bit wandery around 40mph but improves in the higher speed ranges. 3. When the battery is left connected to the vehicle for a period of about 2 weeks without starting the vehicle it goes flat, is this an indication of battery condition or defective leads or normal failure under unused conditions?  Any comments would be appreciated as i am somewhat inexperianced but enjoying the car heaps.  Regards Scott
Richard Thomas (Guest)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

Scott,
> I was fortunate enough to purchase good original FB ute  > recently & i have a few questions regarding the car 1. At >  about 60 miles an hour the engine seems to be reving  > quite hard,and quite noisy (by 2days cars standard) is  > this normal? or does the engine require timing or some  > other adjustment.  
The stock diff is pretty tall (3.89 ratio), so the motor is revving reasonably hard at 60mph.  How noisy is noisy?
> 2. The steering seems a bit wandery  > around 40mph but improves in the higher speed ranges.
All front-steer only vehicles have progressively lighter steering the faster you go, so that part is normal.  However, you may need to have your steering box, ball joints etc looked at and perhaps a wheel alignment done if the steering is really sloppy at low speed.
> 3. When the battery is left connected to the vehicle for a  > period of about 2 weeks without starting the vehicle it  > goes flat, is this an indication of battery condition or  > defective leads or normal failure under unused conditions > ?  
Probably battery condition but it's something easily checked by a auto electrician.  Can you borrow a battery and see if it the same thing occurs?
> Any comments would be appreciated as i am somewhat  > inexperianced but enjoying the car heaps. Regards Scott  
Hope that helps,
RET
Scott Degenhardt
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

G'day Scott, my name is also scott and I also own an FB ute!!!!  I have just  put the old grey motor back in after a new paintjob and new gaskets, but I still have a very loud "tappet" noise.  The engine actually has twin carbies and extractors and has also been bored out 30 thou'.  Apart from the front disc brakes and a different paint job the rest of the car is original.
I also have the original diff gear (3.89) and yes it does rev quite high at high speeds - I suggest a 3.55 gear.  Do you have an email address?? Perhaps we could exchange photos of our cars...?My email: scottdegenhardt@bigpond.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: