FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Blue 202 3.3L Modification Help?????  (Read 11745 times)
marwood

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2006, 10:58:05 PM »

Hey all :-)
I'm new here and i was wondering what kind of other modification i could do to improve the performance of my VH commodore which has a blue 202 3.3L?
I have already have obtained extractor 2-1/2 sports exshust straight through, 350 Holley which will be bolted down 2 a redline inlet manifold, it's running on gas aswell so i have got a gas mixer to fit the holley! I have just brought a brand new 12 port Yella Terra Head which is setup for unleaded and gas which has the following specs. 56cc CHAMBERS. 35% FLOW INCREASE OVER STOCK HEAD. 1.74"INTAKE/1.55"EXHAUST VALVES,DOUBLE VALVE SPRINGS. And thats about it!
With what i have got what sort of power increase will it achive and what other thing should i do 2 get moving even more?HuhHuh??
All the help i can get is greatly apreciated...
Cheers.........

Huh
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:39:49 PM »

Although the 350 holley gives a increase in performance on a red with a single barrel stromberg the 350 holley could actually give poorer performance than the varijet,
A 390 on a 4 barrell manifold would make a good improvement but jack up the price.
if you have the block out of the car you could give it a new cam, bearings and lifters and get the dizzy regraphed.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
marwood

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 01:05:55 AM »

So the 350 holley will decrease performance? got it cheep so thought why not!!!!
Looking at doing full rebuild when i can afford it to a stage 4 or 5!!
But with the mod's i have got what sort power will i acheive? will it be better on fuel? better acceleration? not sure how it will go? any comment would be appreciated!!!
Getting all these mods fitted this friday carnt wait
Cheers Marwood......... Smiley
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 03:00:23 AM »

A small 4 barrel Vac Sec Holley (390, 450, 465) will give you best compromise in power to economy. If you pedal lightly the secondaries won't be needed much.
Dual fuel will always be a compromise though as you can't tune properly to either fuel.
IMHO, you should lose the petrol setup altogether and get a Gas-Research LPG carb (maybe mounted to a VK EFI Manifold) and tune to LPG only, you can bump the compression a bit for the LPG when you get a new head and a cam to suit wouldn't hurt.
LPG is very underrated as a fuel, if done properly you can still have a powerful motor and run LPG.

craiga
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 04:59:05 AM »

If you want to improve the performance of your engine put it in an FC.

300 kgs lighter and then you'll be on the right forum   :-/

Kiss

Cheers,

Craig.
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 05:12:21 AM »

There ya go again Craig, shootin' from the hip  Roll Eyes
Of course he should be putting it in an FE  Grin  Tongue

craiga
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 05:19:23 AM »

Good point Stinky. Embarrassed

With that less complex grill and small blinkers the FE is even lighter. That has to equal MORE performance!!!

Sorry Marwood, no harm intended, just having a dig.

You should try oldholden.com. Those guys are more into the 'later' stuff.

Cheers,

Craig.
marwood

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 08:35:06 AM »

thanks for the help anyway guys! Smiley
all ready done oldholden but wanted some other opinions 2 see if i was on the right track!
Anyway im getting it all done friday and ill lets ya's no how she runs......

Cheers.. Grin
trevwood

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 10:37:19 AM »

Hey Craig thats a funny looking fe you have on your avitar or is it an fc I can't quite tell? Maybe your in the wrong forum Huh Wink
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 08:50:32 PM »

OH OH , Here we go again
                                          WOO HOO
                       Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
craiga
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 09:09:16 PM »

Bloody hell 'trevwood', no getting things past you.

Due to popular demand I have now fixed my avitar. No detention for me this week  Cool

And you're spot on Rusty, been a bit boring lately hey?

Marwood, thanks for taking the post as it was meant, I'd reckon you're on the right track with your mods. If you want more power you'll need to look at camshaft, balancing, and a lighter flywheel. You don't say auto or manual, but if you have an auto a shift kit can really make the thing shift harder and get the most from your extra power.

Cheers,

Craig.
marwood

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 01:51:53 AM »

Thanks Graig Ill look into the shift kit as it is a 3 speed auto! out of a VK not sure of the specs for it? but it should be fine with my mods? i hope? already looking for a cam to suit! but didn't know about the fly or balancing! ill chase them up as well! If im doing that would you recommended changing anything else in engine i think it is standard not sure though?
Cheers again marwood!
Ps old holden site is crap getting more info here!!!
Thanks guys Grin
trevwood

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 06:51:07 AM »

Hey Craig now your just showing off Lips sealed Grin Grin Grin.
craiga
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 08:45:08 AM »

Marwood,

How much and what you do will depend upon your budget.

The rule is get the air/fuel in and out as quick as you can, so carby/head/exhaust is the first step. Possibly one of the CRS bolt on superchargers might be good for you? About $2K, but cheap horsepower.

Adding a good ignition is also critical but your VK already has a high energy ignition as standard, just make sure its in good nick.

Then comes pulling the engine down, balancing, blueprinting, high velocity cranks (check the ones on ePay, about $1200.00 but very trick), bigger cams, boring, offset grinding, it goes on and on, again depending upon your budget.

This one (in my XU1 trevwood ;-))will make about 300 HP and would cost about 7K to build

The thing is though you'll do heaps of work to your six and it'll only go as good as a 5 litre V8. If you really want to get going, sell the 6 cyl VK and buy a V8 version. More reliable power, and plentiful at good prices.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Craig.

PS: Trevwood, I spent 5 hours preparing that avitar so I'm glad you noticed. Can I go outside and play now, or am I still on detention?
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:55:22 AM by craiga » Logged
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »

Padlock is poised (Sorry Marwood), it looks like the Nationals "hangover" might be finished and the board is picking up!

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 11:39:08 AM »

Hey Fellas,
Looking good, Craig.

Rusty, did I hear a "Woo Hoo, here we go again?"
You know where to find me. Grin

Wink Wink

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
craiga
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »

Geez Stinky, ' Padlock is poised', a bit keen you moderators!!!

I was only warming up!! And now Rob's willing to join in we could really get things going.

Started the XU1 for the first time tonight. Mmmmmm bewdiful. Marwood, maybe you DO need a six after all ;-)

And Rob, get your pancake baking arse back up here, me Marwood and you in the split window are on for a race :-)

Cheers,

Craig.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 12:01:13 PM »

Yup, padlock poised, you probably missed it but I have already deleted one unnecessary and inflamatory post. I can handle the banter and ribbing but when things get nasty or personal I'll jump in.
Plain english - anyone with a post still in the thread is OK.

Cheers
The big, bad, stinky Mod  Grin

craiga
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 08:40:51 PM »

Come on Glenn, nasty and personal is what we like!!! Well maybe not, but at least it keeps things interesting  Roll Eyes Those Sarge vs. Taswegian Cake Cooker 'fights' were things of beauty.

I'm sad I missed the response before you nailed it.

I hope though that Marwood has got the info he was looking for. And that he's traded the 6 cyl VK in on a 4.9 litre V8. ;-)

Cheers,

Craig.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:42:08 PM by craiga » Logged
marwood

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 10:34:42 PM »

Hey na have'nt traded vk in dont have one! LOL its a VH with a VK gear box Cheesy
Starting to look into the thing you's have mentioned and it does run into a few dollars! Embarrassed
I'll start with thoes few mods im doing first should get me moving a little quicker to start with! Then i'll work on the rest! Then the race is on!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I'll post some pic's of here after Friday when it gets retro fitted with my gear for ya's Grin
Thanks guy's!!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: