FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:39:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Firewall  (Read 12425 times)
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »

I have posted some pics of my new air con unit in my air conditioning thread if anyone wants to check it out cheers Frankie.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 09:41:13 AM »

Firstly , sorry Deano I wasn't aware . Mate I'm not really that old I've just been playing with old cars all my life. I would assume that the splines on the drives [the bits that come up through the cowl ,in the workshop manual page 27 called a pivot] are the same as early holden [there are plenty that are and I am not able to name them all but I used 60's morris because I know they fit] ,and that's what I found at a swap[money is always a factor as I am a disabled pensioner] .Because I used a morris mini motor the lack of length of the inner cable was the reason I put it where the glove box was . Be aware that there are different pitches on the  cables and therefore there are different cogged drive gears[on the pivots that go up through the cowl]. The rusty motor in the picture hanging in the shed is Hillman and is similar to early morris minor [has the chuck type pivots and a different pitch] and is totally different to the later morris . Secondly in your picture it shows the motor positioned between the two pivots .Did you do this to fit it ,or is it the way you bought it and are you aware that you can swap it around and put the motor at one end . Ok so I lucked out with the mini pivots  fitting through the FE-FC pivot spacers and nuts ,so then I needed very short wipers because  the Vauxhall has a 80mm chop . I found a set of torana [maybe LC] wipers and drill out the rivets that hold the compound arms[the pieces that hold the rubber blades] and just kept the shorter inner arms and put the rivets back in and shortened the section that is riveted between the arms and the piece that fits over the spline

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »

Sorry ,wrong button here is the rest of them

That's the motor .Now the switch is trick because the wiper motor runs fast enough but it is only single speed . I took an air con fan control switch [four position ] ,first position is off ,the second is through a resistor to slow it ,third is standard fast, the last position is through a rheostat so I can vary the speed from stop to full . Hope that helps .Cheers Haydn
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 12:19:11 PM »

Yeah, sorry frankie to hijack this but I find these setups interesting to talk about. Pitch is something I hadn't thought of much. Yeah I just got them Haydn so that's just how they are. I sort of don't wanna rush it and yeah I gotta check that the cable drive matches the wheels. I'm hoping it does on the motor with the long cable so I can use your idea. You know that stuff on the roller door glides, I reckon that stuff might be good. It's a putty the wheels can't be sealed so grease stays fresh. I'm gunna see if I can find that article about mods to this system to improve durability. Dust in the grease might be an issue here so I thought of encasing the wheel assemblies and silastic it to make a dust proof casing. The bloke in the article says to try match wheels even if they are old. Do you think if I just got general auto soft rubber to seal under. What did they do back in the day.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »

This might sound crazy but my mate who works for a auto paint co. got me plenty of black polyurethane and told me to use it to make my custom quarter glass seals so I wrapped the quarter glasses in glad wrap and sprayed it with lube then filled around them with polyurethane then trimmed them with a dremil .So my idea would be to do the same ,wrap each drive in cling wrap then totally cover them with polyurethane . Haydn
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 08:36:54 PM »

Hey Haydn I,posted some pics of my new air con heater unit in my air con thread have you checked it out yet and if so what do you think cheers Frankie.
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »

Yeah someone did same with vasoline, I think my father in law.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: