FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:54:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Air Conditioning  (Read 4165 times)
Graeme

one of thses days my wagon will be finished.....

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2002, 09:09:32 AM »

Hey guys,

FC/VL conversion coming along slowly (bloody work cuts into car time!!!!).  

Anyway, I am looking for any ideas on combined ac/heating, fairly compact, hopefully most of it able to be hidden under dash and/or behind glovebox.

I remember reading in a hot-rod magazine that (I think) early Subaru units would be the go.  Has anyone heard of this or have other suggestions.

I had tried to modify the VL unit, but too big and bulky and I really didn't want to cut it up.

Thanks.

Graeme

PS I prefer the window down, with boost provided by the open quarter window and extra boost from the cowl vent, but my better half prefers AC, so AC it is...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2002, 09:31:34 AM by gjs » Logged
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 10:48:49 PM »

G'day Graeme,

I've been searching for a similar set-up myself for a while now & have seen a number of after market units which will fit. Unfortunately not combo's though. What I've decided on is a Smiths heater and the A/C will be late model rice burner pump, condensor & drier with a '65 Mustang evaporator/fan unit.
Reason being late Jap stuff usually has the rotary type pump which doesn't draw as much power as the swash plate type and the (pity it's ford) 'stang unit is nice & compact with drum fans, facia sort of matches the rest of the interior & will bolt staright to the bottom of dash still leaving leg room for a centre passenger if you run a bench seat.
cheers, Leigh

Red & white is alright
Graeme

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 08:44:01 AM »

Thanks, Leigh.

Always good to hear what others are doing.

I have a Repco under dash a/c unit and a heater/demister (round, chrome with 2 doors) and have had a bit of a play, but the heater is a bit tight behind the centre grill in the dash - might try for something a bit smaller.  Was hoping someone may have found an all in one unit.  You are right, though. The under dash units suit the old appearance of the car, and should look fine with the bench seat.

Can't wait to get the beast back on the road!!!!

Thanks again.

Graeme
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 10:05:29 AM »

Although it wasn't in a Holden, I did use a set up from a 70's jap car that was shortened a bit and worked well.
The theory being that if it came out of a small car to begin with, it had more chance of fitting in to the limited space I had. Try a few wreckers check out what is available, then you could also find it cheaper in a private sale wreck?

Graeme

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2002, 09:37:14 AM »

Looks like another trip to the wrecker coming up.

I have had a quick look at some late model small jap stuff, but it still looked a bit bulky. I have a few brownie points up at home again now, so will be able to spend a bit more time at the wreckers looking.

Will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for the replies.

Graeme.
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2002, 08:50:04 AM »

Wink HI GRAEME
    WHY NOT MOUNT THE AIR CONDITIONING EVAPORATOR IN THE BOOT AND HAVE A COUPLE OF DUCTS COMING THROUGH THE BACK PARCEL SHELF (HOPE ITS A SEDAN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT). YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO RUN A LARGER COMPRESSOR TO COMPENSATE THE EXTRA PIPE LENGTH.
REGARDS ACE
Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: