FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:51:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: EH Brakes on FC stock front and rear ends  (Read 16361 times)
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »

Is it possible to fit EH drum brakes to the standard front and rear of an FC?

I'm going to start using my FC again and after sitting for an extended period the brakes are rotted AGAIN.  Undecided

This time I'd like to upgrade to EH brakes, mainly because of the better design of the wheel cylinders against moisture getting into the system, but with the bouns of increased brake shoe area.

Has anyone done this, and if so what bits do I need?

Thanks,

Craig.
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »

Hey Craig im almost positive that it can be done to the front end and could possibly be done on the rear end talk to the old man he has done this conversion before and will be able to tell you whats needed

Cheers Ben
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »

Thanks Ben.

I'll drop in to the next meeting and have a word to him.

Hope to see you there as well. Smiley
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58:43 AM »

If you are to upgrade the FC brakes to EH keeping using your existing FC cross member there are several problems
a) the front end control arms are only interchangeable at the upper inner bearing and lower outer bearing, so you really need an EH front end wheel to wheel to get the upper control arms, as well as the axle, brakes, kingpins and steering arm.
b) brake hoses will need to be renewed with special ends to match new wheel cylinder and existing FC steel fitting.
c) at the back just change the whole axle, renew brake hose as for front, and weld on FC bump rubber brackets.
Brakes are certainly better
Geoff
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »

Thanks for your response Geoff.

Are there any other options so I can utilise later model wheel cylinders, specificaly those that have a rubber sealed end? Torana brakes maybe?

My hope was that the rear axle to backing plate holes would line up and allow easy fitment and at the front it would be the same deal - bolt up the EH backing plates and change the hose fittings. Not that easy hey  Undecided

Has anyone tried the above method and just bolted up later backing plates?? If you did try would it be possible to modify later backing plates to fit?

If its too much hassle then I'll just have the current ones stainless sleeved.
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »

70 XU1, have sent you a PM re your initial question.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »

i've bolted EJ brakes which i asume are the same as EH onto EK stubs which i assume are the same as FC, bolted the backing plate straight to the stub only drama i had was the steering arm which i fixed with a grinder but if you have the EJ/EH steering arm that should solve that problem
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »

I am considering the same mod for my Grey & White car. My question is, If you were to bolt a complete EH front end under an FC will that solve the problems or open up a whole new world of hurt?

Thanks,
          Dean.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »

No it works fine - once in a moment of inspiration I decided that I would put an EH front end in an FC with  a red motor and just make new engine mount plates. The jury is still out on whether I saved any time or effort. Tongue Roll Eyes

Ken
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »

Hi Craig  you can use FC front end just got to redrill backing plates, you will have to use EJ, EH, HD or HR rear end. If you use HD or HR rear you won,t have to move the rear flexible brake hose connection on diff housing. I,m going to the meeting tonight so I will see you then.      Al

See ya
Al
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »

Another way you could go which I have done a few times is use a late HD or HR drum front end, change engine mounts and outrigger. You still have a standard looking drum brake system with ball joints. Gives a better ride and better steering. Ball joints last longer and are cheaper to replace than king pins.

See ya
Al
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »

I am doing the FE and after talking to a old brake bloke hes telling me just use all existing brakes with S/S sleeves in them and only use silicon brake fluid found the brake fluid it was $139 dollars for a litre Embarrassed

Apparently it will not absorb moisture and they do not stick after sitting for a while.

He had a bug sit for ten years rolled it out and reckons they were not sticky at all....

Gotta be worth a try...

fc058ute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:59 PM »

you  can fit eh stub axles and brakes complete by swapping over the top and bottom control arm outer pivot bushs and bolts  as eh ones are bigger
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:51:26 PM »

Silicone brake fluid is good as it doesn't gum up like normal brake fluid, the only downfall apart from the price is that it will find a way to leak where normal fluid wont. The entire brake system must be perfectly clean and in absolutely pristine condition before you put the silicone fluid in. You cannot drain old fluid and then put silicone in, all rubbers must be cleaned or preferably renewed including hoses.

Ken
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »

thanks for that.
I was told that since i am having them sleeved and recod i could run it and should never have problems.

But it got me thinking the pistons are on the other side of the seals wont they still grow crap on them and gum up or do i put a bit of grease on the pistons.

Pete

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »

I always put a bit of rubber grease on the pistons to keep them sliding freely

Ken
DN2168
nsw-club

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »

Hi guys,

I have found an EH front end diff for the car. When changing front ends can I use the old FC outrigger as the front end has had its out rigger removed. I  realise it's not a quantum leap in braking performance, but the HR discs are going on the other Taxi project.

Dean.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »

The FC outrigger does not fit - that's why you use the FB to EH outrigger on a HR front end and not an FE FC one. The FC cross member is deeper than the later ones.

Ken
DN2168
nsw-club

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »

Thanks Ken,

I had a feeling that may have been the case.

Dean.
DN2168
nsw-club

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »

Hi Ken,

Would I use an FC or EH mounting rubber kit? The guy I bought the front end off gave me one with an out rigger as well.

Thanks,
           Dean.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: