FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:08:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Car History research tips  (Read 2864 times)
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:56:40 PM »

I am trying to track the early history of my car and would like to know if having the first Victorian rego. number, chassis no.  and original engine no. will allow me to find out the original purchase dealer/owner/ date of first registration?
R.

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:54:32 AM »

If your car was first registered in Victoria I'd ring VicRoads to see if they can help.They may not tell you anything due to privacy laws but theres no harm in asking.Maybe they can give you "hints" on tracing its history without actually telling you exact details (if you know what I mean)

A mate of mine has copies of original GMH microfiche for LC/LJ Toranas that lists body numbers to original engine numbers/options/colours etc and also to where a particular car dealership that the car was originally sold from however I remember him saying that GMH didn't keep records like this prior to around 1969.

That said, try ringing Holden.Won't know unless you ask.

Try Victoria Police perhaps?

There maybe other ways in addition to this that others have tried.

Hope this helps,

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:02:23 AM »

The AOMC have the original registration records, there were 2 files - one with car details and one with owner details.  The owner details records have been destroyed, whilst the car details records are available for a small fee.  Original engine number is the record you need, they will tell you all other details they have for that vehicle.

ken
Rabbitoh
vic-club

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »

Thanks for those tips gents.
I have already got the AOMC data, including original engine no. thanks Ken (I wonder...did ayone copy those destroyed records by any chance?) . I have also tried Vic roads, but they won't divulge the original/previous owner's details. I guess Victoria police and GMH are next on my list to try.
R.

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:25:12 PM »

hope you cars not from interstate...

any tips for qld blokes?

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 11:58:20 PM »

I spoke to NSW RTA about my car a while ago.  They suggested that a Freedon of Information request may get some information, but that was said in the context that I am after details of when my car was first registered to my grandfather (who is deceased).  The RTA would not say whether info about the first owner would also be given.  There was a fee of about $35.00 from memory.  I didn't go ahead, so can't say what info is available under an FOI request.
FOI might be worth trying, but we are talking records from nearly 50 years ago, and they may no longer exist.
David

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 05:29:26 AM »

Don't know whether the following is B.S or not but I was told that N.S.W RTA used to offer a service where if you saw a car that you would like to offer to buy and had the number plate number you could go to any RTA office pay a fee and your enquiry was mailed to the owner.
You provided your information and details and RTA mailed the owner without you knowing the owners identity.If the owner wanted to respond he or she then had your details to contact you.
No privacy laws breached.

Maybe an old wives tale,maybe true,.........Dunno.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 06:39:42 AM »

There are no copies of these records.  The AOMC records are the original Vic roads records.  When the privacy laws came into effect, all the old pre-computer records were slated for destruction.  As a good will gesture by the state government the AOMC were handed the car detail records and the personal detail records were subsequently destroyed.
Current Vic Road records only go back to about the mid to late 70's.

Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: