FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:32:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: brake facts and figures needed  (Read 4284 times)
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2003, 11:49:55 AM »

When using torana discs on the HR front end,  what size  rear wheel cylinder?
what about brake line diameter?
Is it the same for front and rear?
 Does the brake booster  work on front and rear brakes?
Is there an adapter plate to use a later model master cylinder available?
These questions and more are making my head spin.
Any guidence would be apreciated
andy
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 01:28:54 AM »

Andy
     Are you running a HR rear end?  If so you can use HR rear wheel cylinders {which are a smaller diameter than drum fronts} and linings to suit the disk brake front.  
     If you use the single circuit master cyl both front and back brakes will be boosted.  If you want to run a later model master cyl  eg HQ dual circuit Rod Hadfield in vic makes a firewall braket to suit the cyl but then you will need to also run remote boosters or alternatively you could get the firewall mounted booster and cyl from a HK onwards and mount that directly to your firewall.

Hope this helps

SeeYa
Ben
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 11:51:18 AM »

Thanks for the info revhead.
 The front calipers come of a ( i think ) LJ or LX  ,  I`m putting in a diff housing from a ( I think ) a LC  .  It was stripped when i aquired it .  The brake shoe size  and backing plate is the same as a HR drum brake rear.  The wheel cylinder is 9/16.  Not sure if i should stick with that size or not?
The master cylinder is a LC-LX ,  Which I will have to adapt  the firewall to fit.  Also I have a remote booster,PRB 260550 , which must fit in someware.
I suppose one is bound to run into these kind of problems when buying second hand parts off different cars.  Fun aint it.
andy
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 08:46:43 PM »

Just to add my two cents.

I am running a full LC/J Torana setup.
Booster, Master Cyl, Prop Valve, Front Calipers and Diff.

Your fun will be determining the rear wheel cyl size.

If you are going to modify the firewall to fit the master cyl, why not get a LC/J booster and fit that up instead? No extra work really if you are already welding and grinding on the firewall.

Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 01:19:49 PM »

Andy,

My FE has: LX Master Cylinder;
Remote VH24 Booster;
HR Crossmember with LX Spindles, callipers, discs;
HR rear axle with 'buggered if I know' wheel cylinders.

The front section of the master cylinder is piped through the booster, the back is totally independent of the front circuit.

The car might have 'standard' HR Disc Brake wheel cylinders on the back axle, a careful presual of the receipts that came with the car don't show.  It has E1174 brake shoes though - if that helps at all.

I won't be able to tell you what size wheel cylinders are at the back for a few months - when it is th ebrake's turn to be 'inspected' and repaired.

Cheers

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 08:49:11 AM »

Andy, the rear wheel cylinder should be 9/16 which is the factory rear wheel cylinder for a car fitted with a disc brake front.  You can use HR or Torana they're the same.
HR's and Torana's fitted with a drum front had a 11/16 wheel cylinder, whilst FC had 1and 1/16 cylinder.
Pipeline diameter doesnt matter.
If you use a single circuit master then you boost the front only (unless you are running 4 wheel discs then you need to boost all 4 with 2 separate boosters), using a mastervac lets you boost all 4 wheels in a nice neat package.
I'm running UC mastervac with UC front discs and 9/16 rear cylinder in a HR diff.
I didn't find it really hard to adapt the firewall to take the UC mastervac although I'm running auto so I didn't have to worry about the clutch.
Generally the best way to go if you are running a clutch is to use a Gemini booster with a XB master cylinder.
I have done this conversion a few times now and it gets easier the more times you do it.

Regards  Ken
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 08:28:31 AM »

Thanks everyone for the info, Its sure cleared things up a bit for me.
 Ive just scored a gemini booster, and will scour around for the XB master.
Ken , the booster looks like it`ll fit with a bit of a file to the firewall.  Is there any pitfalls to look for in fitting it , and the master cylinder?
Thanks again.
andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: