FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:51:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are Legal Modifications in Tasmania?  (Read 8057 times)
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 03:38:56 PM »

Hi all,

This question is more for those in Tasmania - but if anyone else in Australia who can offer advice, this would be great.

I have a 202 which is going into my FC. I want to know what hassles with legalities I may have in Tasmania with this swap. I will consult an approved transport station, but before I do, I just wanted to see if anyone in Tasmania has done this swap, and what hurdles they have faced. I am pretty sure that Tasmania's requirements are not as strict as other states (Victoria, New South Wales) when it comes to swaps such as this.

I am pretty sure the standard answer to this question will be that each transport approval station will vary as to what they will pass and what they won't.

Here is a run down of the car:

- Currently registered on restricted (Special Interest) registration.
- HR disc brake front end
- Borg Warner drum rear end
- 4 speed gearbox
- Hand brake relocated to floor
- Bucket seats
- 15 x 7 and 15 x 8 wheels
- Flared guards
- 192 red motor
- Nitrous oxide system
- Commodore radiator
- Electric wipers (one speed)
- EK steering column
- Front lap/sash seat belts (none in rear)
- Lowering blocks on the rear
- 3 inch exhaust
- Slight rust in sills, bottom of front and rear guards and bottoms of doors
- Battery in boot (in vented battery box)
- Electric heater/demister/fan (broken)
- Chassis kit
- Extractors

To go in the 192's place is a fully worked red 202 with triple Webers. A question that I have is will the engineer look only at what the new modification is (i.e. fitting a 202) and ignore the previous modifications, or will all of the modifications need to be examined too? The official website outlining light vehicle modifications was not helpful in outlining approved modifications.

There is no mod plate for the previous modifications (this was not a necessity when the car was first modified).

I hope that my question is not too convoluted...

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 06:57:52 PM »

Hi Ol Girl 58,

From what I have found out there is now a national vehicle modification code. Also from talking to my engineer, anything that has been previously modified will need to be re eingineered. You will need to talk to an engineer in Tasmania for specifics, but I am guessing that you would need to have the whole car re enginneered. Going in excess of 200cubic inches also opens another can of worms as as well.

Best to find an engineer, have a talk with him, find out what he will accept and what he wont.

Regards

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

Thanks Keith.

Pretty much what I didn't want to hear - but knew that it would be the case Roll Eyes

I should have just got the 192 reconditioned, but the 202 was just too good to pass up.  Wink Surely an extra 10 cubic inches wouldn't be too much hassle for engineers?!

Cheers,

Josh
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »

Hi Josh,

Simon H. our Secretary from the Classic Holden Car Club just had his EK engineered when he put a hot 202 into it. He only had a couple of minor things to rectify but it was a fairly simple proceedure. Pm me for his phone number and you can have a chat to him.

regards

Weddo
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »

Hi all,

I spoke to an engineer today - although the car will need to be re-engineered, there shouldn't be too many hassles, seeing as the the car is pre-ADR and had already been passed with the modifications at an earlier stage.

An engineers' report will be anywhere from $500 - $1000, apparently.

Thanks Weddo, you have a PM.

Cheers,

Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: