FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:45:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: BIG steering problem  (Read 10333 times)
Sunday special

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Hi Forum,

Im tring to identify the part that has "disconected or broken away" from the steering column ,  basically the Steering wheel now spins 360 deg.and doesnt turn the wheels. there is a part that is like the size of a bicycle crank that has broken away from the apx 40mm diam tube.
obviously im off the road now Angry Pitman arm? or idle arm???

Cheers,
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »

Wow thats nasty

Get someone to turn the steering wheel while you stick your head under the car.

The pitman arm should turn with the steering wheel input as its bolted directly to it.

If it doesn't turn then its the sector gear or something else in the steering box, or maybe as simple as the steering wheel splines or its just come loose and isn't engaging properly.

If the pitman arm moves but the drag link doesn't then your problem is further down.

Good luck, that is a scary scary fault.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »

If it is below the steering box, it is the pitman arm, the other side of the drag link (passenger side) is the idler arm.

A photo of the damage would help the diagnosis

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »

Just re-read your post.

Check that the nut that holds the pitman arm to the steering shaft is done up tightly. Maybe its just come loose.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:28 PM »

If its only the pitman it will only spin till the worm drive runs out not 360 sounds like the shaft or something has snapped....

Sunday special

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »

I Stopped by the shop to have a better look and take a photo, i scrapped out what seems to be some sort of seat and spring assembly it shattered and worn.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:34:49 PM »
+1

Wow fella, looks like you had a badly worn joint and the constant excessive movement has done its magic. Looks like passenger side so would be idler arm (non steering box side) and the drag link tube has been ripped out! (I am no steering expert), but this type of thing would have occurred whilst backing out and catching a wheel on left while reefing right on steering perhaps? Or hitting a curb or big hole? I'd be interested if you could tell us how it happened? You should check wear of other components immediately, often salt or road grime can eat at bolts or joint etc. This is nasty and I would not just drive it after fixing this particular part, you need to get an "expert" or trusted mechanic (It is obvious from your post that you are an amateur as you called the general steering assembly the "column"), but mate, you are playing with your life here so get it checked properly cos I am concerned for your safety thats all. looking at that the tube may have been corroded due to worn joint, so a combination of factors.

See the thick arm (bycycle crank one) that the tube bolts to via the joint, if ever using a car thats been sitting for long time or your new to a car and wanna do a quick safety check, get under, get someone to hold steering straight and grab it and pull different directions. There should be "NO MOVEMENT" in this joint whatsoever (unless you have an xb falcon ha ha). I'd be interested to see from others whether this is a common thing with age on this vehicle?

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »

http://www.buyautoparts.com/steering_system.htm

this link is good and simple (cut and paste into your browser bar). Actually its hard to tell by looking at the photo cos its hard to judge distance, but pitman arm is on steering box side as per Keith said and as per diagram shows on top drawing. Idler arm is on non steering box side.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
+1

Looks like your draglink needs a good clean out and a new kit put through it

Available through Rare Spares, about $80

https://rsp-secure.com/search%20products/Show%20Image.asp?image=7425261.jpg&ImageFolder=

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
+1

Very common fault on early Holden steering arms that do not get serviced. The tube will need to be dismantled, cleaned and a new kit put through. You may have to replace the arm as well if it has been damaged.

Ken
Sunday special

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »

Looks like your draglink needs a good clean out and a new kit put through it

Available through Rare Spares, about $80

https://rsp-secure.com/search%20products/Show%20Image.asp?image=7425261.jpg&ImageFolder=

[/quote]
ZULU You hit the nail right on the head!!! Cheers mate , at least i know what the part is called.
Sunday special

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:19 PM »

Wow fella, looks like you had a badly worn joint and the constant excessive movement has done its magic. Looks like passenger side so would be idler arm (non steering box side) and the drag link tube has been ripped out! (I am no steering expert), but this type of thing would have occurred whilst backing out and catching a wheel on left while reefing right on steering perhaps? Or hitting a curb or big hole? I'd be interested if you could tell us how it happened? You should check wear of other components immediately, often salt or road grime can eat at bolts or joint etc. This is nasty and I would not just drive it after fixing this particular part, you need to get an "expert" or trusted mechanic (It is obvious from your post that you are an amateur as you called the general steering assembly the "column"), but mate, you are playing with your life here so get it checked properly cos I am concerned for your safety thats all. looking at that the tube may have been corroded due to worn joint, so a combination of factors.

See the thick arm (bycycle crank one) that the tube bolts to via the joint, if ever using a car thats been sitting for long time or your new to a car and wanna do a quick safety check, get under, get someone to hold steering straight and grab it and pull different directions. There should be "NO MOVEMENT" in this joint whatsoever (unless you have an xb falcon ha ha). I'd be interested to see from others whether this is a common thing with age on this vehicle?

Cheers mate, Its definitely the Pitman arm (drivers side) and the drag link is stuffed! I have never had an issue with steering after 10 or so Holdens over the years , so this is a new one,
How did it happen? Well its been at the Panel shop for three months and the apprentice moves it in and out of the shop (and 30 point turns) every day ....so.....its had more steering in three months than 3 years saying that it was good that it happened now.
Booked in at Dinkum auto early next year... Once again thanks Forum!!!

Have a merry Xmas!!
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »

Thanks for telling us, makes sense, low speed, high load dry steer situation = glad it happened then lol. I was a bit concerned because some areas, like in Adelaide let you buy a car after its sat on lawn for like 10 years and people just drive off none the wiser. you have good xmas too mate.

Deano.

Deano

Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »

its had more steering in three months than 3 years

While that might be true, a contributing factor is also how the steering is executed.

Think about the forces necessary to turn a pair of wheels:  get a block of rubber and put it on the ground.  Now add 1/4 of a ton on top of it, then try to turn it left or right.  A lot of force is necessary.

The wheels should never (if possible) be turned while the car is stationary - get the car rolling (even very slowly) and the force necessary through the steerring wheel is greatly reduced.

The problem with power steering is that it makes it very easy to turn the wheels, but the same amount of force is transmitted through the steering mechanism - it just feels lighter.

I can picture the apprentice is sitting at the steering wheel wrenching the steereing wheel around while the car is not moving (because he's been brought up with cars that have power steering); he would be contributing to that damage.  And I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what he was doing when it finally broke.

Watch cars at the supermarket car park.  They'll back out of a park, stop, turn the wheels, then drive off.  WRONG!!!

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »

Yeah Martin, have been trying to tell my wife that for years but she is used to driving new cars and she thinks cos its light she can do what she wants but doesnt realise the pain for the components. you see some at supermarkets that dry streer so severely you can see the castor of the wheels actually raising and lowering the car up and down....ouch!

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: