FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 07:51:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Exhaust manifold gasket - best material?  (Read 5871 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »

Hi,

I have a few extractor exhaust gaskets stockpiled.

Most are the modern composite type.  I also have an ACL asbestos type gasket that I have had in it's packaging since approximately 2000.

Are these old type gaskets better than the new ones?  It's been suggested to me that they are, but there must have been a million of the new ones used since then.

Dave
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »

I doubt if it's old that, even if they were better back in the day, I'm sure it wouldn't be better than the later ones. More important is to not use anything with asbestos and I would personally find out how your council prefers them to be disposed of. I have had a congenital form of cystic lung disease since a child causing emphysema so think about the next person who might be a young bloke and take a wire wheel to a stuck gasket later down the track.

At the  end of the day, it's not that hard to replace one so I would just research on the new ones.

When I was a diesel mechanic we used to get some engines with huge pressures and engine brakes etc. We used to machine mating surfaces so good that no gasket was used. But some blokes just smeared the permatex paste on them. On a little engine you could file the mating surfaces. But a method that I found interesting from the experienced guys was to put the metal/copper, whatever you choose on and then preload it slightly against the head but only lightly then take the gasket off and where any raised bits are put paste on those areas. This would be a good method on a car that is up for a quick fix.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »

I'm with Deano on this, I think you will find that the old asbestos gaskets are outlawed now the the health risks they hold. So it would be a good idea to dispose of them in the proper manner.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »

Someone might be able to answer a question on head gaskets for me . I still have a std. bore 138 red motor under the bench .I had two but sold one . My question is ,although I understand the reasoning behind the dome topped pistons [to increase compression ] the advantage would seem to be lost if you can't get smaller head gasket to suit . Or does it just carbon up once up and running ? There is quite a difference between the piston size in 3.3L and 2.25L so did the original 138 have a smaller gasket and if so could a person get one made ? Haydn 
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »

http://www.swansonsgaskets.com.au/setup.htm

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »

Not exactly sure I'm getting your question but you could always shave the block and deck and use a normal replacement. Not sure what you are referring to about the carbon. Depending on the engine u can get different valves if the head accommodates them to decrease the squish volume too.

Deano

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:15 AM »

What I meant was that the std. vrs. kit for a red motor has a gasket that is compatible with the 202 not the 138 and this leaves the head gasket, which should sit between head and block ,well away from the bores[about 15mm all the way around ]. I'll try Swansons Gaskets they should be able to cut me one .
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »

I get you now. A lot depends what fuel you run hey.

Deano

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »

Thanks guys,

No worries.  Sounds like the new material is the go.

Regards
Dave
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »

Dave, if you find any good ones or new stuff available can u let us know.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: