FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:10:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Air Chief Radio  (Read 4558 times)
Longhurst

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2003, 02:38:28 AM »

May be a silly request but I am looking for a "Diamond Dot" Air Chief Radio to complete my original FC.
This will replace the under dash in car out of car unit of the early 60's vintage
Thanks Peter
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 09:24:14 AM »

I have an FE one at home , but I think they are different to Fc. I also have one in an FE im currently selling. Ill keep an eye open for you . Try ACE he has a few I believe  !

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 11:40:35 AM »

There are original radios both with and without the "Diamond Dot".  However, what made the D/Dot special was the fact that it was transistorized, replacing the valve and vibrator units that had been in all previous models.  These were introduced in 1959, so if you're looking for concours perfection, don't put one in an FE or 1958 FC.  There were a variety of push-button and manual Air Chief radios released for the FE and FC.  There are more details in our Tech Info section on Nasco accessories.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Longhurst

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 08:44:41 PM »

Thanks Ret and Slim. My FC was manufactured in January 59 is this too early for the transistor unit. If so I will keep your comments in mind if I ever find one.
Peter
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 08:53:37 PM by Longhurst » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 02:32:25 AM »

Given that there were a very limited number of accessories actually factory-fitted (of which the radio was not one), you could argue that any radio Air-Chief or otherwise is not "as it left the factory".  You could then extend that argument to include pretty much every accessory.

After all, who's to say that the radio wasn't fitted by the original owner after he'd had the car 12 months?  In which case the radio stocked at dealers would have been the transistor job.

I know I'm arguing against what I wrote earlier.  It's all very philosophical Wink
For what it's worth tho there are pictures and some comments about which radios suit which model on the pages I referred you to the other day.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 06:44:31 AM »

True!!
Down here in TAS, the dealer used to fit different aerials when they fitted the radios. Little metal balls on top. Also, there are 2 cars in our cllub (One which is my wagon), which had little brass fire extinguishers fitted at the dealer BEFORE they left the showroom. So, is that "Original", or aftermarket.
Hmm, not sure.
Can be confusing.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Longhurst

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 05:07:33 AM »

Thanks for the information. I have the details from the NASCO page which indicates that the transistor model radios were introduced in late 58 so I will keep looking for either a Dimond Dot or a manual control type.
Thanks for the advice Peter
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 08:11:17 AM »

Cheesy Hi Peter
     I have a FC Air Chief radio in working order.
     Phone 0427430044
      Regards ACE Cool
Longhurst

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 11:46:45 PM »

I am now the proud owner of a Diamond Dot thanks ACE
Item closed.
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...