FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: BADGE CLIPS ???  (Read 9891 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2005, 05:09:51 AM »

Can anyone please advise of ways to attach badges to the bodywork ?

More specifically the HOLDEN letters accross the front of the bonnet, and also the rear quarter panel badges "SPECIAL"

I think I can get the tubular clips for the special badges, but nothing available from Rares for the bonnet letters.

What's your thoughts on kneading up some QuickSteel, and pushing the badge into it and waiting for it to go off.   Will set rock hard like steel, but do you think it will hold ?

Any other ideas ?

Cheers

mark
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 05:58:18 AM »

How about some sikaflex glue on the tabs?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:25:54 AM »

Hi Mark,

my bonnet letters came with the tubular clips to receive the small studs/tabs....I think I got them from Restorer's Hotline (Rare Spares) too...

regards....Brad
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 06:48:17 AM »

Brad...check your email, have left you a private email !

ED....thought about that before, but not sure how messy it would be and how long I'd have to hold the letters in place for the sikaflex to set.

I had thought once, to use this method to stick all my mouldings on.     Fill all the moulds with filler to fill the hollow shape, then use sikaflex or a strong adhesive tape to stick on all the moulds to save drilling a million holes in the car....no rust either.

Thanks for the ideas....

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 11:34:34 AM »

ED....thought about that before, but not sure how messy it would be and how long I'd have to hold the letters in place for the sikaflex to set.

That's what masking tape is for  Grin

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 12:00:24 AM »

Good point Stinky, but given the HUGE power my little baby will be putting out, I'm afraid that when I hit 350kmh that the masking tape may become alittle unstable......what do you think ?

(lol)

Mark
Roybeth

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »

Hi All

just can't work out how to install the bonnet letters on my FC. I have barrel/tubular clips - some NOS, some from Rare spares and some from Better auto rubbers.

I've tried the NOS and the better auto ones. Put the clips in and then put a letter in but neither held the letter at all, and it just falls out.

Can anyone describe how to do it or have pics?

T.I.A.
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »

These are the clips for the letters from rare spares

https://www.rarespares.net.au/beta/rarespares/buy/ns0043/clips-letters-and-badges-push-in 

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

If you have all the right bits the tubes should fit nicely in bonnet holes and letters should press in with a block of pine and your palm
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »

The clips shown (NS0043) look like glovebox lid clips. Just a bit further down are a circular clip (NS0039) These look more like the ones.
The best thing to do is take the letters to Rares and try various clips till you get the right ones.

Ken
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »

Those are square ones - I've got round holes - and these are the ones I've got https://www.rarespares.net.au/beta/rarespares/buy/ns0039/badge-clip-push-in-type-12-pcs

Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »

If you have all the right bits the tubes should fit nicely in bonnet holes and letters should press in with a block of pine and your palm
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Car had been painted with 2-pak before we got her and all trim and clips removed, only had one hole in the centre which seemed to be unfilled to work out the size as all the rest have a pin hole or thereabouts in the centre.
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 07:47:46 AM »

The clips shown (NS0043) look like glovebox lid clips. Just a bit further down are a circular clip (NS0039) These look more like the ones.
The best thing to do is take the letters to Rares and try various clips till you get the right ones.

Ken

Got to go to Canberra in a couple of weeks, will drop in to Rares then
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »

Someone has sent me a pic of their NOS badge clips that they have used on their FC/FE.
Apart from being cylindrical, nothing like the three sets I've already tried.

clips for letter badges by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »

The others look like these.

resto badge clips by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr

with the NOS a slightly different size.

What clips have folks actually used on their rigs?

Helen
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »

Hang on, going to take a pic of the ones I have as the last pic are of resto country ones which I don't have (couldn't find pic I could copy of Rares) and I think the ends are different, will put that up in a sec
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »

Hang on, going to take a pic of the ones I have as the last pic are of resto country ones which I don't have (couldn't find pic I could copy of Rares) and I think the ends are different, will put that up in a sec

these are the three sets I already have

DSCN6831 by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »

So if I was in your situation, this is what I would do.
The pin on the badge should slide into the clip until it locks on the barb. Don't push it on all the way, but it should be quite tight in the barb, not sliding on with just a little force.
This is the correct clip for the badge.
Now go back to the bonnet and carefully drill out the paint and filler till you get to the metal. The clip should push into the bonnet, once again with a bit of force, and should spring into place. Make sure there is no filler behind the hole inside the bonnet as this will interfere with clip.
Once you are happy with everything, push the 6 clips into the bonnet and then insert the letters. With brand new clips you may need to put a small piece of soft wood (pine) on the letter and give it a tap. Make sure you push squarely or you can break the pin off the badge.
Ken
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »

So if I was in your situation, this is what I would do.
The pin on the badge should slide into the clip until it locks on the barb. Don't push it on all the way, but it should be quite tight in the barb, not sliding on with just a little force.
This is the correct clip for the badge.
Now go back to the bonnet and carefully drill out the paint and filler till you get to the metal. The clip should push into the bonnet, once again with a bit of force, and should spring into place. Make sure there is no filler behind the hole inside the bonnet as this will interfere with clip.
Once you are happy with everything, push the 6 clips into the bonnet and then insert the letters. With brand new clips you may need to put a small piece of soft wood (pine) on the letter and give it a tap. Make sure you push squarely or you can break the pin off the badge.
Ken

Thanks Ken, will have another go at it - I've noticed the black ones are a little longer - may have been a little to tentative with the NOS ones, just that bit shorter so if I give the badge a little tap it may then sit into the barbs at the end. If no go will have to drop into Rares - only trouble is its a couple hours drive to the nearest one so bit hard to "pop" down, but do have to head over there end next week but maybe I'll have it sorted before then :-)
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

Ha,  got my hands in behind where the letters go - and I can feel little tubes sticking out - I'm thinking the old clips are still in it and they have just been painted over. Now to get the new clip out where there is probably another clip already in. Will work on that a little more pondering how not to wreck the paint work.  Undecided
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: