FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:26:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Stromberg WW Carby  (Read 12920 times)
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can tell me the general availability of WW Stromberg carby's, I'm told they were off 186S motors....

My FC has a twin throat weber mounted with an adapter plate to a WW Stromberg manifold and I was wanting to put a Stromberg back on to it.  Also, would anyone know what jetting would be required for a "warm" 202?

I know I can get one done at a carb place in Perth for between $500 and $600 including carby, overhaul, new air cleaner, filter, new custom throttle cable and labour.....but was looking to see what other (cheaper) options there might be...

cheers.....Brad
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:53:59 AM »

The WW stromie also came out on some 253 V8's. AFAIK the only difference was the auto choke.
Would be keen to hear other thoughts on this as I am also looking into putting on a WW that I have.
Regards
Alex

Motörhead

D-Generation X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:49:36 AM »

Gday gday

According to a 1968 Winser Publications TUNE-UP MANUAL FOR HOLDEN, the Stromberg WW when released with the HR 186S was equipped with an automatic choke...."It features automatic choke and a dash pot to eliminate stalling when the throttle is suddenly released. It has two idle systems main jet systems and throttle butterflies".

"Hard starting with 'S' engines could be due to incorrect starting procedures".

Bloke in my club has a factory 186S HR Special with 4-speed and he did tell me that the Stromberg WW's are in reasonable supply (and at reasonable prices) at most early Holden wreckers as he had to scour the wrecking yards for a replacement WW.

Cheers .... Pete

The Quiet One
The Cynical One
The Dark One
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:46:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies fellas...

On the auto choke issue, is there a problem with leaving it auto choke....I seem to recall the guy in the workshop here in Perth quoting to convert to manual choke but I can't remember why....

cheers....Brad
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 06:27:34 PM »

Hi Guys.

All WWs fitted to Holdens use an auto choke. If set-up properly it is better than any dodgy manual choke conversion.

The WW was fitted to all 186'S' (HR/HK/HT/HG), 161'S' & 173'S' (LC GTR Torana) & all 253/4.2 V8 (HT/HG/HQ/HJ/HX/HZ/LH/LX/VB). Although some HQ/HJ/LH used an Email/Carter these are rare. The Blue motor 253/4.2 V8s used a 4 barrel Quadrajet.

Dr Terry.
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 07:01:52 AM »

Early Fords with 302 Windsors also used the WW carby!

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 11:32:16 AM »

Thanks guys....

I've sourced one from Xtreme Fuel Systems (mentioned elsewhere on the Forum) at what I think is a great price....I'll be ahead of what I was up for here in Perth.  It's coming to me reco'ed, adapted to manual choke & jetted for my 202.

The issue with the auto choke is simply about whether or not there is a tapping for the exhaust gas to carby connecting pipe to open the auto choke once the engine warms up....in my view, it may be worth having, but too hard to do the drill/tap/fittings bit to make it work, my workshop is not that well equipped....so manual choke it is.

thanks again for your input....I'll put up a post about how it performs compared to the non vacuum advanced twin bbl Weber that comes off to make way for it....

cheers....Brad
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 11:40:37 AM »

Brad
You can adapt the electric choke mechanisim from a Falcon Weber Carby, then all you need is a wire powered up from the ignition switch to activate it.

Cars are my life not just my work
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 12:31:08 PM »

thanks Jockster....good to know, but I'm running with the manual choke this time.....for better or for worse...

after suffering the weber that's on it for the last 15 months, I'm well used to temperamental manual chokes... Grin

cheers....Brad
bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 05:04:51 AM »

gday brad

just by chance ive stumbled across a WW stromberg in the online rarespares website, in the newcastle store.
dont know anything about them but just remembered looking at this thread when i saw it, might help you to check it out.

just go to rarespares.net.au and search for your product its a pretty good website.

cheers

I Think Therefore I Am?..... or I Am Therefore I Think?
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 07:30:22 AM »

I also plan to put one in when I find the time to work on the beast again (got the bits - not the time).  I was thinking of using a thin bit of copper tubing wrapped around my extractors to replace the need to use a 186s exhaust manifold with the correct holes in it.  It was my understanding that it was only used to warm the air being pulled into the auto choke, not actually suppling the air to the auto choke.

If you are looking for details of, the best place I found was the HK, HT, HG manual from the local library under the 253 V8 section.  I would assume an original holden HR manual would have the details in it, but the non holden ones do not have much on the 186s or WW carby.

Worst comes to worst I photo copied a slap from the HK manual if you need a copy.

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 09:32:03 AM »

Hi Bob,

checked out my local Rares on-line....the price was similar to what I paid, so I'm happy...thanks though, I didn't think of Rares for this one.....

Hi Flamed,

You may be right about the tube around the manifold...but I've gone with the manual choke one.  Couldn't find anything about them in my HR manual, only the X2 carby specs.....and you're right, the non Holden manuals say nothing about either of them....the HK manual's the go I'd say....

cheers.....Brad
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:45:09 AM by fcfromscratch » Logged
craiga
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 08:21:27 PM »

Brad,

I'm glad you used the guy from Extreme. He does a great job recoeing the carbies and as you say is very reasonable with his pricing.

Stick a picture up of the carby when you install it.

Cheers,

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: