FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:50:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: new lake pipes and bumpers  (Read 5348 times)
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2002, 11:04:25 AM »

finally got some photos of the fc with the new home-made lake pipes on. i have also welded the bumpers into one piece units with hidden mounts so it all looks nice and smooth; well at least it will when i can afford to get them rechromed. i have also sectioned the rear number plate surround. the lakes are also awaiting rechroming and are wearing chrome paint in the meantime....

next on the agenda in either reforming the grille opening, or finishing smoothing the boot and hiding the fuel filler. changes are going so slow because this is my daily driver, and i've been busy. everyone knows how that goes  Grin

simon
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 12:25:56 PM »

Hey Simon.
Nice work. It may be going slow, but you have done more than me. The numberplate overrider suits that small plate. Can you drop me a line outlining how you did your bumpers. That is something I would like to do before the Nats.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 12:27:54 PM by custom_fc » Logged

HARKO
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 12:36:36 PM »

Simon that looks awsome mate ,Its tough trying to work on your daily driver at the best of times but your commitment sure is paying off ,If you make it look any better Im gonna steal it.
Did you drop the front or raise the back or are the pipes just emphasizing a little rake that I hadnt picked up on.
Or have you spent the fuel money and the tank is empty ,Thats my little trick and the car always has a rake the day before pay day
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 10:04:15 PM »

Hi Simon,

Thanks for sharing pics of your handy work.  Those pipes and bumpers really set the car off.  

When I look at Alex's and your FC and Harko's EK ute, Im really inspired to go and try things on my wagon.  

I want my wagon on the road for the Nats, and I still want to keep adding custom touches to it as well.  This is pointing me in the direction of flat black as a colour, so repainting wont be a hassle while I keep chainging the body.

When i got my wagon it was flat black with white scallops... perhaps it will be retuned to its former glory after all...

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 12:10:52 AM »

Simon,

That looks great - I'm very impressed.  Do you have a close-up of the number plate over-rider?

The Club Christmas Party is on tomorrow night at the meeting hall if you're free...

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 06:03:43 AM »

thanks guys,

i am happy with the way things are going on the car. all my work gets finished up to a stage (like pre-chrome), and waits patiently until the glorious day when the body goes in for major surgery and everything gets finished off. anyway, i kinda like that 'in-progress' look.... i am teaching myself as i go, so i like to do the little things first. it is getting to the stage though, where i am going to have to start cutting the body. fingers crossed! Grin

alex - the hardest thing about welding the bumpers together was the fact that the factory pressings of the seperate pieces are very dodgy alignment wise due to the over rider hiding the join. you don't notice this too much when they are bolted together, but when it comes to making it look seamless it is bloody hard (for a novice like me anyway).

i had to use the persuasion of a big hammer and strong clamps - welding in stages. i found it is very important to put the bumper back together on the car and tack it together to ensure it fits! if you try to follow the curves of the bumper when joining, it turns out nearly straight and won;t fit the car. (found that out the hard way)  Angry my joins require a little lead filler to make the curve absolutely perfect, but i am happy to say, not too much. should be easy when its chromed.

as for mounts, i used two nuts for each of the mount points, welded them together, and then welded that to the inside of the bumper, this actually gave just the right space from the body. then just put the bolt into the nuts from the car. with the big brackets, i actually welded them to the bar, seeing as how they don't protrude further than the wrap around bits of the bumper anyway.

i am pretty good at filling huge holes with the welder now! Smiley

after all that, a coat of clear and its serviceable until that expensive trip to the chrome platers.

harko - the car does have a rake. i hate it. but at the moment the tailshaft keeps slamming into the floor tunnel so i can't go any lower. this occurance has gotten more frequent since i took the rear stabaliser bar off (had a custom made one fitted, but the damn thing was wearing away the diff filler plug!). next on the list is making a new tunnel. got to do it for the eventuality of airbags anyway! Smiley by the way i still have all that trim stuff if any of it will help you

ed - horay! satin black! or i reacon; satin chroma key blue, red steelies and whitewalls.

ret - i can take a closeup photo of the number plate surround for you, but it was no biggy, just ground the back bits away till it fitted where i wanted it to. much slimmer though and i like it. i really would like to attend the christmas party, but unfortunately, i have something i can't get out of that night. this always happens  Angry  Angry  Angry

sorry for the length of this post by the way!!!

simon
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 03:14:49 AM »

amazing how quickly you learn to weild up holes when you are working on your old girl!!   Tongue

Looking fantastic Simon!!

Long live the custom  Cheesy

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
nick

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2002, 12:37:41 PM »

Simon
I would'nt use lead filler.
Build up with Mig and grind down finish off with a belt sander 80/120 grit . Comes up a treat.
Nick
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2003, 09:40:22 AM »

I love those wheels! Can I ask where you got them from? I've been looking for a set of moons everywhere! They'd look perfect on my old blue'n'white FC special! Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: