FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 3/4 chassis,FC ute  (Read 13330 times)
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2002, 09:23:57 AM »

Hey Guys,

Has any one out there put a 3/4 chasis into an FC ute,I want to fabricate my own and need a few tips.I know that it needs to join the inner subframe legs and floor crossmember to the rear leaf spring mounts,but am unsure weather it has to bolt in or if it can be welded in.Does it follow the contour of the hump in the floor or just run straight from front to back.

any help would be much apreciated

thanks,

Weedy Huh

He who hesitates is lost.
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2002, 06:34:54 PM »

Hi Weedy
    I have put a 3/4 chassis in to my wagon. It welds to the rear spring hanger & bolts through the cross floor member that runs across the car & under the transmission tunnel. the chassis also includes a tailshaft catcher & transmission crossmember. I got this in a kit from the ROD SHOP in Castlemaine (it was easy to install) I can't see why it would'nt be the same for a ute. Would be easy to make your own
Hope this helps
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 08:47:47 PM »

The thread "not an fe/fc" will link to some build-up photos of a hr including ones of a part chassis which will give you some idea.
I have welded mine in from the rear spring mount and frame area and then to the front crossmember, which was reinforced to spread the load over a greater area.
From the front of this crossmember the process was repeated and continues up to the top of the original motor mounts in between the Y sub frames. All this applies to a sedan.
The owner on the hr site has his own comments to make about the merits of welded compared to bolt-in chassis!
Another thought is to weld in any captive nuts into the chassis for saftey loops etc before you install them in the car?

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2002, 12:24:56 AM »

i am running a 3/4 chassis in my fc sedan i made it all myself it is 75x50 duragal it runs parralell pretty much with the rear springs  right through to the y frames it does put a slight dent in the floor pan but with underlay and carpet you dont notice my car had a split firewall but now it allmost picks up the front wheel.  FCHOOn

HARKO
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2002, 08:01:56 AM »

Ya Hoon
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2002, 08:59:32 AM »

when you guys say that you went through to the y frames,what did you do where the new chassis intersects the origional floor crossmember.
and I might be pushing my luck a little here but does anyone have any pics of a 3/4 chassis in an FC-FE

Thanks

Weedy

P.S  thanks for all of your replies  Wink

fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2002, 06:58:19 PM »

Hey team,

I've just bought one of these 3/4 chassis from Hadfield's and not yet installed it.  I've a digital camera so I will take some pics and try to post them here for you....stay tuned.....

Brad
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2002, 07:25:29 AM »

The second link in "not an fe/fc" shows build-up pics of an fj with the pics in" part 3" showing the chassis and join at the front cross member, and would be the same for your fc.
In the photo section of my 59v6 the pic of the rear gearbox mount shows the chassis along the top of the pic and near the rh top corner you can see the edge of a plate that joins the rear part of the chassis to the front part that  sits betwwen the Y-subframes. This is as well as this connection to the floor crossmember being fully welded.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2002, 07:40:59 AM by sgo » Logged

weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2002, 08:05:21 AM »

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the replies,I think Id be still scratching my head this time next year if it wasnt for you guys.Sorry for needing the step by step on finding the pics you posted links to,I tried the link last night and it didnt work,then again tonight and bingo.......go figure heh.

Anyway,plans to draw,chassis to weld Tongue

cheers Weedy

Charles Lark
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 07:16:23 AM »

Weedy

I have a complete set of plans for a 3/4 chassis kit that I drew from a chassis I put in my old FC.  If you are interested, I can send you a copy and save you a bit of time.

Cheers

Charles
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2002, 07:42:15 AM »

Hey Charles,

A copy of your plans would be great,anything that reduces the amount of time I spend under the old girl is much appreciated.My email address is; darylo@optusnet.com.au

Thanks a bunch

Weedy

fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 12:38:54 PM »

hey charles, if it is not too much trouble i would like to see a copy of your plans. i have to do the same for a wagon. my email is clements@upnaway.com
thanks craig
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 10:28:20 PM »

Sorry for the delay, been opening a starphoto account and learning how to upload photos...

thread has moved on a bit... but here are the photos I talked about of the 3/4 chassis from Hadfields...

as mentioned in the links from sgo, there are some "tricky" angles in the bits and pieces of the chassis that are worth noting...I've given a close-up of the piece that goes under the "Y" at the front of the chassis to give an idea of some of the angles...

Brad
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2002, 12:31:53 AM »

one thing about the hadfield chassis kit is that the gearbox crossmember and the tailshaft loop hang WAY too low....

if you want to lower you car (of course you do, how could you not!)  Grin , these things practically drag on the ground. i had to completely redesign the gearbox crossmember, and i got an extra inch and a half clearance under the car. i have taken the loop off for now until i modify it.

anyway, just thought it may be worth mentioning....

simon

simon
FC2104

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2002, 06:30:40 AM »

Charles,
i also would like a copy of your plans my email adress is dtenabel@ozemail.com.au
thanx Dean
« Last Edit: August 28, 2002, 06:13:55 AM by FC2104 » Logged
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2002, 08:01:41 AM »

Pictures and all,you guys rock.I only hope I can be as much help to all you guys some day.

A thousand thankyou's

Weedy Grin

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2002, 02:21:32 AM »

rather than welding to the rear spring hangers, how about bolt in?

in the shed
Jason

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2002, 10:19:30 PM »

Charles,
i also would like a copy of your plans my email adress is jason.ciesiolka@aph.gov.au

Thanks
Jason Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: