FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:34:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: GREY POWER !!!  (Read 4432 times)
vmx-mxr

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:01:45 AM »

I posted a similar inquiry on the FB EK forum my son gets on with his sedan and would like to know

1) Is there an existing thread in here for improvements that can be made to the greys.

2) Can anyone give some clues. We have a decent set of SU triples, a couple of interesting twin manifolds including a Monaro magnesium one and not much else. I know the folly of just bolting on a set of finicky triples - little gain for a lot of pain. I have been told here are good gains to be had but reliability must not go out the door.

Over to the experts

Dave Mac  Smiley
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »

Dave,

Proabably one of the better threads is Alex's (customFC's) buildup of his car "Miss Behavin"

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9227.0.html

Have a read through, no over the top engine mods, probably something similiar to what you are looking for

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 08:36:55 AM »

Something I've learnt if you want reliability: moderation. I have triple downdraught strommies, I know there are several others with the same; mild cam, not too wild head, keep the compression sane, a set of carbies that have been set up properly. My car has just past 20K miles in 13 years, about 10K of that with the current engine as it is. Good reliability, it has never broken down, better fuel mileage than stockers on a trip, likes a drink if you let it.

Loves a good run, but is just as happy pottering around. Good to see you keeping the grey.

Colin.

colt
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »

Dave,
It will depend on what you want out of the motor, if you want just bolt on's then a twin carb set up (matched carbies), extractors and a little cam will give you a nice workable motor. If you intend bolting on the tripples then you seriously need to consider the rest.
A motor with tripple SU's ie: lots of fuel, needs to be fed a lot of air and needs to get rid of gasses efficiently. So you will need to consider a good head job Roll Eyes with over sized valves, port work to allow gasses and fuel to flow well, good mid range cam for a steet driver and good exhaust system and .... it all = $sss   I run tripple SU's on my grey with 100 RWHP, but horse power on any motor has a direct correlation to the dollars you may need to spend

regards
Weddo
vmx-mxr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:05:42 AM »

Thanks fellas.

All makes sense. This engine is for my sons EK so mild is the word. We have been gathering up bits and pieces with some success and it looks like I am onto one very decent guy who says he has a fair few of grey parts on offer including manifolds, rocker covers and whole engines etc etc. Once we've had our pick I'll see if he wants to sell off the rest and let forum members know the deal.

My newly acquired FC van on the other hand has already had the grey spirited away and a 179 fills the hole. The previous owner fitted an Aussie 4 speed turning a Torana diff to keep the track a little narrower. the biggest downer about the conversion is the roughness of it all especially the mini harbour bridge rear gearbox support !!!

Who are the best people to go to for spares for the greys and also a good head shop to get the hardened seats fitted?

Many many more Huh to come once the shed is cleared and the van gets some real attention! The only thing that would stop me would be if I could swap the van for a really good ute project  Roll Eyes

Dave Mac  Smiley.
thee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »

you dont need hardened seats for a grey motor save your money
vmx-mxr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »

That's interesting and good to know - how is that?
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »

It's because they are a low compression motor. I've had mine done, only because I bumped the compression up a bit and I wanted it to stay there for the long term.

Another way of thinking is to leave the seats alone and only get them done if and when you get recession. The amount of use a lot of our cars get, it may never happen.

colt
spanner

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »

Yes, This is what my engine rebuilder told me when I had my grey rebuilt. Didn't do it and haven't had a  problem so far.
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: