FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:19:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: stay orig, or update  (Read 4241 times)
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2002, 11:53:36 AM »

Hi guys

I'm in a real dilema here, do I update my fc to hr front end or just drop a red on the orig frontend and If I do , who can legally do the welding of the engine mounts for to suit the red.

So whats the best way here, I've all ways played with more modern and hi tec cars (HR's).

cheers, yogie
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 09:04:27 PM »

Hi Yogie,
Original brakes are under achievers I reckon, so if you're fitting a red you will need better brakes. Go with the HR f/end for safety and get a better ride as well.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
craiga
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 11:45:12 PM »

G'Day Yogie,

I reckon Leigh's right, the original brakes/suspension design leaves a bit to be desired unless it is in tip top condition - and even then its needs to be remembered that King Pin front ends and Drum Brakes are very old technology so you can't expect too much.

There has been a bit of discussion before about this but if you put anything larger than a 149 in your FE/FC you will have to put the disk brakes on and get engineering approval (NSW). So if you want a bigger red than 149 the decision is made for you - you need the HR front end. My car has the red 149/original brake combination and its OK but its no racing car either (and its driven with respect to its capabilities or lack thereof!!!) so the brakes and handling are OK.

If you going to use your car every day and you aren't hung up on originality then go for the disks and ball joints - you'll have a safer more user friendly car.

Cheers,

Craig.

Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 05:11:36 AM »

Couldn't agree more.  

HR front end with disc brakes and booster is the only way to go for a red.

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 06:26:24 AM »

Thanx fella's

me minds made up, gunna go the hr xmember, anyone in Melb got one 4 sale so I can do a change over.

cheers Yogie
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 08:05:02 AM »

Yogie,

The other thing about putting a HR f/e in (rather than modifying your old kingpin one) is that you can always revert back to the old one if you decide to restore the car to original again.

There's an excellent article about fitting a HR f/e into an FE or FC in our Tech info section, here, by Guru Ken.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
scarey1

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2002, 11:16:27 AM »

if you want to upgrade your brakes why not go the whole hog like i have and update it to the twin piston brakes of a vt commodore. this kit is avail from hoppers stoppers.

i have a vx ss com and it stops like a shower of s**t

regards
scarey1 Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: