FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Sub Frame Schematics  (Read 9223 times)
xskywalkerx

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2006, 02:35:55 AM »

Hey there, I am in the process of getting some Art Morrison Chassis's made up, and would love to get one stitched together for my FC. I am searching far and wide to get the original schematics for a FC (subframe etc) so I can get one made for it... If anyone knows of someone within the clubs etc who might have something like this, it would be greatly appreciated if I could get a copy of such paper work to get a chassis made up to eliminate all the trouble we have with steering/brake/rear end/lowering/ handling and geometry conversions we all do on these... I'm sure that it would be greatly appreciated amongst the wider community to know that for around $7000AU a rolling chassis exclusively made for FC's could be put together.... Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks - Luke.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:58:12 AM »

Could I ask, why?
If you are spending that much why not just get a full chassis made up?

BTW, no need for the double posts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:58:43 AM by stinky » Logged

xskywalkerx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:29:22 AM »

I am getting a full rolling chassis made up... That's why I am asking about schematics - it would be very handy to have the original measurements on the sub frame and front clip in order for the measurements to get a FULL ROLLING CHASSIS made up... Then, the measurements can be handed over, and a chassis made up.. This would be the easiest way to put the 'original' body over the new rolling chassis... $5000AU (when ordering wholesale, and with a container load of chassis's for other vehicles we're building) is cheap considering how much the new HR front end's are from Pat Gardener... Again, any help would be appreciated. - Luke
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:03:55 AM »

It's still no clearer to me why you would want to do this, but in any case I doubt anyone in the clubs will have what you're asking for.  Those sorts of blue-prints were internal to Holden, and unlikely to have seen the light of day outside the engineering and manufacturing departments.  The only schematics I've ever seen are for parts made by third parties, such as the FE bonnet button.

Maybe I'm fundamentally misunderstanding what you're planning, but I can't see how you can design and fit a rolling chassis to a monocoque body and have a cost-effective alternative to the pre-existing chassis kits.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:57:58 AM »

will this mean it has to be registered like a repro hot rod or would it still be registered as a FC, does it raise the limit of engine size?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 08:18:26 AM »

For reasons Ret has stated, I can't see how you could do this.

Surely any reputable chassis shop in Oz could install a 4 link/ladder bar rear and strut front end.

Then there's the problem of (if you do what you say) getting an ICV registered.

I'd be settling for a '49-54 Chevy if you want a full chassis fifties car in the mould of an FC..... but hey, all luck to ya!

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:24:22 AM »

I guess the schematics are needed to allow for hanging the front panels?

SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »

I dunno stinks.... why would you go to all the trouble of having a full chassis, only to weld some sort of (sub)frame on top to hang the factory panels?

Methinks a trip to the drags to see how it's been done a zillion times before is called for.

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 08:56:08 AM »

there has been some early holdens placed on a chassis, there was one near completed on ebay last year that was on a crown chassis with a v8.
any one remember harko, that guy that used to come on the forum with the chassis under a van?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:31:43 AM »

Luke
   is this the sort of thing you'r looking for

If you want I can e-mail it to you with higher res. Im guessing mesurements are in inches.
     Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
xskywalkerx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 01:34:08 PM »

Thanks Brad! Thats pretty much what I'm looking for. If you could, I would love you to email it to me - xskywalkerx215@hotmail.com
Any other info along these lines would be greatly appreciated. Fitting an 700 horse power street engine into an FC with sub frame rails like rice paper is not the safest thing, they're not even boxed. The chassis kit in it at the moment is great for the hot 6 cylinder and the occasional drag race - but putting a hot eight in it, a chassis is more like it, with correct geometry, airbags, quickchange diff, rear end wheel wells, and steering all taken care of. Don't get me wrong, I love stitching cars together, but for something with lots of horse power, I'd like it safe. Look at Fitzy's FC, thats on a HQ chassis. This isn't the first time something like this has been done. As for the early Chev idea, - already building a chopped 2 door hardtop '51. The FC is one of my first cars, and I'll keep it forever, just want to sort it out once, and not be worrying about it.
Thanks again Brad - appreciate it. - Luke.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: