FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:07:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor info  (Read 124351 times)
Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »

No 2 Mayvic Street, wasn't it?

And Ken Waggott was in Canterbury Road at Belmore, right?

Even further from Yagoona!

My memory of their locations, however, only goes back to the mid-sixties.

Thanks RET, that's great.
MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »

Back in the fifties I served my time with Don Mackay who was a very well known speedway car owner. At the time Ray Revell and Andy McGavin were driving Don's cars.
We always sourced early numbered blocks for our speedway cars and Don would bore them out to 3 1/4 inches and I don't remember having to throw away any blocks.
In the late fifties I purchased a very early engine with a four digit engine number starting with 6 which I intended to fit in my FE but it is still in my shed.
Mal.
Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »

Mal, that's interesting...

It would be good to check that block out with a sonic tester. My nephew has a block at his workshop that's been bored to the same and he's sonic tested that one and found it to be sound. He had a buyer for it but they've not come back.
MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »

Hi Ray,
My block hasn't been bored, still 3 inches plus wear also crank appears to have standard size slipper bearings.
Mal
Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »

Shhhh!

You don't want all the rabids on here chasing after it, do you?
MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »

I would sell if offered a fair price.

Mal.
GreyFC

Model: other Holden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »

In the past week I have had confirmation that they had a Canadian block and it actually had "Made in Canada" cast into it.

The story goes that it was cast in Detroit and shipped to Aus via Canada with 149 other blocks to avoid customs tax.

I'm inclined to believe this man and I will be visiting him shortly to hear more.

I was the biggest skeptic the Canadian block until now.

The legend continues.

Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »

Hmmm...

As people who have seen the Muskegon blocks have never mentioned this, I would initially suspect that the 'Made in Canada' part of the story applies to the logo.
GreyFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »

Not sure just keeping the legend aline'  Here is the exact comment

I beg to differ on the blocks at least , and therefore maybe the cranks.Speaking to Ian Shugg today he believes that the first 200 blocks were made in Canada,so why were the cranks not made in Germany given that the Grey is a German Opel (or GM Germany ) design. I certainly had the only Canadian block I have ever seen in the early 70's and it had cast in it "Made in Canada",somebody had milled the caps and bolted strongbacks on and as a junior engineer I didnt think the caps would be strong enough and I didnt have enough money for steel caps and a line bore and after tripping over it for 5 years and offering it to all and sundry (most of who agreed about the caps) it went to the tip on a clean up day!! Pity I never took any photos of that cast in script ,but it was certainly there!!

Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
+1

There's no 'Made in Canada' on this one...

...and it's a genuine imported block with the CWC logo on it.
GreyFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »

Who's is that one?  Is it still around to take more photos?

I can ask exactly where the "Made in Canada" was on the block see what he says.

I want to believe....

Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »

That photo is of the engine in the prototype car... go back a couple of pages for all the pics...

As for Germany and Opel, I don't think the Holden engine was anything like their stuff. A little more like the Vauxhall, but even then it was more like a baby Chev.

And what was Germany's production capacity like in 1946/7 after their factories had been being bombed for all those years?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »

Look familiar - this is a forties Chev engine. Clearly where the Holden grey came from

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GreyFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »

Opel

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »

Looks to be very similar if not the same engine exactly. The holden engine has some obvious departures from this design but is from the same family

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »

I've been following this thread on Facebook as well as here, and I'm with Ray Bell - I just cannot see how Opel could have been in any position to produce engines or components in any quantity for some far-flung GM outpost immediately following the war. Or why. It just makes no sense. I think it's more likely that the Opel engine is based on the same design as the Chev engine, and it's the ancestor of both the Opel and the grey.

But I get into enough arguments on Facebook without starting one on mythical Canadian Blocks Cheesy

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »

If you have a read of the Wikipedia page on Opel, it's pretty clear this theory must be bunkum.

A few things worth noting:
1. Opel were taken over by GM in 1929, the same time as Holden.
2. They were seized by the German government "shortly after the war began", and almost certainly by 1942.
3. Opel were manufacturing engine parts for German bombers and got themselves bombed to oblivion by the Allies. In 1945 they produced no vehicles at all.
4. Half their manufacturing capacity was basically stolen by the Russians, by virtue of one of their factories being within the Russian controlled area.
5. It wasn't until July 1946 that the first Opel Blitz rolled out of the rebuilt Rüsselsheim factory.
6. GM did not resume control of Opel until 1 Nov 1948.

I realise this thread is conflating the history of Canadian and German GM engines, but there's just no way that any part of the Holden engine came from Germany.
And in my opinion, not from Canada either.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »

Very interesting reading on a subject full of conjecture!.  Here's one for the purists. I have in my collection, a NOS FB......EH Clock.  It was in a cardboard box with MADE IN BELGIUM, stamped on it. Just pondering where the BOSCH components on the greys originated?  old-blu

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »

As I understand it, early Holden grey motors had Lucas or Delco-Remy electrical components. Use of Bosch parts came a fair bit later.

but there's just no way that any part of the Holden engine came from Germany.

But perhaps I should have said "Opel", rather than "Germany". Smiley

Professor Grey

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »

Hi to all contributors to this thread.

Here is a bit more trivia to consider.
It is very true that the Holden grey bears more than a passing resemblance to the 40's Chevs and Opels (apart from the obvious, such as position of the distributor), and this just serves to show that GM has always been a world player.
...BUT... I have never seen a Holden type oil filler cap on a Chev.(although I'm not infallible)
Yet here we see them on a 1939 Opel Kapitan and wartime/post-war Opel Blitzes.

Verrry interesting.....

Also, the CWC grey blocks were cast by Campbell, Wyant, and Cannon Foundry Company, Muskegon, Michigan, USA, about 150 miles from Detroit.

You don't get this old by accident.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: