FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:54:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor engine mounts  (Read 2385 times)
conaghan11

One Day It'll Be Finished

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2004, 10:37:17 AM »

Hi guys,
I'm in the (very very slow) process of putting my FC back together and have come up with a really embarrasing problem and am forced to call upon your expertise with a stupid question.

It's been so long now since I pulled the old girl apart I've forgotten how some bits go back together. Lips sealed

The rear engine mounts for the grey motor hold brackets which mount up to the gearbox and are roughly triangular in shape.   My question is should the top of the triangle point up or down to the ground.

Thanks in anticipation that somebody will be able to reply to this between fits of laughter.

No doubt this wont be my last stupid question either.

Steve C.

One day she'll be finished......
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 10:21:49 AM »

Steve, I'm having difficulty understanding exactly how this piece could be mounted upside down.

Anyway - I'll go through the entire rear mount

Onto the chassis bolts a "U" channel type piece with 2 long bolts through the inner rail and a short bolt in the outer rail.
Onto this bolts the engine mounts with the rubber upwards(the only way it wil go) it has a little locating pin which slips into a corresponding hole in the mount.
This is bolted on with 2 bolts and nuts through a clever little clip which wraps around the mount and the holder and stops the head of the bolt from turning.
The roughly triangular shaped bracket is bolted to this (once again pointing upwards) and is held in with 2 nuts and spring washers. The bolts are embedded in the the engine mount rubber.
These brackets are in turn bolted to the gearbox bellhousing.  On the RH side with short bolts.  On the LH side with long bolts which serve the double purpose of holding on the slave cylinder.

I hope this is clear - Ken
conaghan11

One Day It'll Be Finished

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 11:28:42 AM »

Thanks Ken for the response.

I said it was a stupid question......

How I got confused is that the brackets seem to be able to be fitted pointing either up or down depending upon which side they are fitted to.   For example, the right side bracket can be fitted to the right side (pointing up, I now know from you...Thanks) or fitted to the left side pointing down and vice versa for the other bracket.

Anyway, point is that I now know how to fit them again, thankyou.

Next job, to put the motor and gearbox back in....

Steve C.

One day she'll be finished......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: