FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:48:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Finish  (Read 3140 times)
sgo

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2004, 10:14:37 PM »

From another post:
"Most want a perfect shine on their cars and rightly so.. When the general public view these cars alongside acrylic finished cars they often comment on why the acrylic car looks shabby in comparison. The restorers out there are adament that the acrylic finish is the only way to go... fortunatley many are realising the errors of their choices and more and more are now being finished in two pack..."
My query is that because of the toxicity of two pack, for the back yarder to use, what about using enamel?
Apart of the disadvantages or bugs and dust settling on the finish before it drys, are there any other problems with using enamel paints to get that gloss?

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 11:22:03 PM »

Hi sgo,

Did I hear toxicity and car in the same sentence?
(i work in a toxicology lab.. it's very rare that these two things ever cross paths lol).

Even tho the toxicity of such substances as isocyanates is well documented, I dont think an acute exposure (ie single exposure) would be enough to cause irreversible damage, provided you use the appropriate saftey gear.  At the very least organic solvent respiratory filters, safety suit and gloves etc.

If you have kiddies about tho, I'd be inclined to ship em off for the day, as they have yet to develop the blood-brain barrier allowing toxic substances to more easily penetrate the brain.  (I think i've lost mine...)

I've always used acrylic with good results however (time permitting), I may go 2k on the current project.  Practice panels have come up well, and the gloss off the gun is amazing.

Ive squirrelled away a few things that will help me..
A portable car port (*bloody big tent)  which I got from Super Cheap recently.
multi bendy ladders and scaffolding planks (help me spray the roof)
respirators and safety suit etc.

Ive never used enamels so cant comment there.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 01:40:23 AM »

Sgo,

I just spent the weekend degreasing, wire brushing and cleaning a FC diff and axle housing, and then painted it with spraying enamel. Gloss is excellent, but despite best attempts at a dust free environment in my shed, it has attracted its fair share of airborne debris. I would never consider painting body panels with it.

Further, I believe refinishing or blending enamel is difficult or impossible. Acrylic will fry up if painted over air dry enamel.

Acrylic is definately yesterday's technology, however for the home car builder and painter, it is still second to none. It is forgiving, easy to work and, relatively non toxic. For these reasons I'm about to paint my FC station wagon in acrylic.

Two pack however, is the premium paint finish, but needs to be painted in a booth, by someone who knows what they are doing. If you are that person, and have the access or means to a booth, then don't consider anything else.

Regards

Ed

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 08:08:00 AM »

Hi Eddie, At Motorex last year there was a stand selling chassis paint, from memory it was a brush on poyeurethane product that dried brush stroke free.
It was available in a limited range of colours including a satin black which is the colour I was going to get for the front & rear end.
According to the blurb & demos it was the ants pants in DIY, as it was a guaranteed long lasting finish.
I will see if I can find the name.
Regards, Gary
craiga
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 09:18:16 AM »

The product is called POR15. VERY good, but a bit expensive. See www.por15.com.au

Cheers,

Craig.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 09:31:24 AM »

Thanks Craig, Thats the one I was thinking of, has anyone tried it yet?
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: