FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:49:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 3speed to 4speed?? is it worth it?  (Read 3729 times)
fc_special

working on getting my fc pic here

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2004, 07:50:11 AM »

Hi everyone...driving to the city the other day i felt like the 138 needed a fourth gear..Will i lose alot of value to the car if i put a 4speed gearbox in??.The gearshift is already on the floor...i have been told a toyota 4 speed would suit best is this right??
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 08:25:16 AM »

hi there   im no expert so my opinion may be worth nothing..but the ratio in top gear on 3 or 4 speed is the same..so nothing would be gained if you were looking  for taller gearing.   if you went to 5 speed toyota ,you'd have the ultimate but you would rarely use 5th gear because its an overdrive..the car would struggle on hills.     personally  i think the phillipino 4sp boxes from uc toranas & early commodores(4&6 cylinder cars had same box) are  nicer than the aussiebox& cheaper..my boys have thrashed em & never killed em!! but top gear ratio is still the same
 to fit a toyota 4 or 5 spd would be fairly costly          so  i suggest ya leave it as it is unless you need to replace it for mechanical reasons
          cheers trev
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 02:03:00 PM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 12:58:41 PM »

why not change to a taller diff ratio,that way you dont need any mods

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 11:31:02 PM »

The standard ratio is 3.89.  
You could try a 3.55 or a 3.36 from later models.  
They will fit into the existing diff housing okay but the standard grey might not have enough grunt - depends on your driving requirements.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 06:57:13 AM »

An otherwise stock grey runs great with a 3.55 diff.  I know blokes who have run a grey with a 3.36 but personally I think that's going a bit too far.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 02:41:34 AM »

I have run both 3.36 and 3.55s behing my stock grey and I'd agree with RET that the 3.55 is the best option. 3.36 is just a little bit too tall down low and at cruising speeds you don't really notice the difference.

David
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 02:46:50 AM »

Forgot to mention that I started with a 3.89.

Some useful numbers to consider. 3.55 is 10% taller than 3.89, 3.36 is 15%. This extra 5% is just pushing it over the edge- you always need to work to get the car up to speed. You don't feel this with 3.55 but you can hang on to 1st for longer. With the 3.89 I always felt that you'd  only just be rolling and you'd have to change up.

David
Nick Athans
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 11:05:33 PM »

thanks heaps guys..i was never interested in cars untill i bought my FC last month..now between the manual and work mates ive learnt heaps....much appreciated...Nick.A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: