FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:34:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Streetneats FC Custom Coupe  (Read 34450 times)
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 07:27:25 AM »

Yeah BABY! : Grin... whos smilin' at yer?!... The EJ and many others gave up overiders for that toothy grin.... Using the standard FE grille surround ( its that original it still has its factory chrome!).... Custom indicators made from $4 swap meet items are frenched into the FE  guards... Front bar  is standard FE... ( a lot of FE in this FC.. Roll Eyes..)

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2004, 07:34:15 AM »

I borrowed a motor from the wreckers to set up the front end and  eng mounts... Also set up the trans tunnel with a HQ trans tunnel..The wreckers let me oxy this out oa Statseman... The car I was cutting this out of caught fire and I waited patiently in line at the counter to ask for an extiguisher...needless to say they did not see the funny side with an inferno now encompassing five cars...Did not want to be rude did I? Roll Eyes.... I still ask them for their oxy set...has an extiguisher attached to it now... dont know why......

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2004, 07:43:02 AM »

Off to the blasters... One of the very few times this car saw a trailer....

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 07:47:01 AM »

This is my 1948 Chev truck doing its job... I have long sisnce sold the truck.. I built this one in 1992... Powered by a blown 400 Chevy  all mounted on a HJ Holden chassis ran soley on gas in the end... towed beautifully... also chopped 3"... Was wifes only transport this truck... Got a few questions  from people trying to figure out what the car on the back was....

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2004, 07:49:34 AM »

All in its bare metal glory...blasting media used is Garnite.

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 07:52:35 AM »

My mate Mick lifts the car up to get to the underside... Mick now has his own FC project... waiting for me to want to work on it.... When no money changes hands the wait is rather long....

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2004, 07:57:41 AM »

Coming home again.. it becomes apparant to me  that the sandblasting has warped all the areas that I have done heat shrinks on... seems the metal has been destressed too much....bugger ...more work.... :-/ This is not caused by heat but rather by blasting two sides of a panel... lesson learned here by all...but why did we have to learn on MY car?.... Huh

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2004, 08:03:38 AM »

Goofy looks dont help get the job done.... At this stage I was not sure the subframe was going to come off again... it did....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 08:04:09 AM by streetneat » Logged

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2004, 08:06:27 AM »

if you look closely you can see the trans tunnel in place -All oxy hammer welded... two person job...

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2004, 08:11:30 AM »

The grey on the car is PPG EPOXY  Primer... A two part primer with a re- active thinner... It seals up everything  and acts as an adhesion promotor for any body filler..Back then we used a lot of GMH Black for things like chassis and underbodies.. I still was not sure if I was going to finish this car or scrap it... not a lot of dollars spent to this stage...

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2004, 08:18:17 AM »

Subframe and extremities blacked... This was not the final solution but rather to keep it all in perspective... We have changed our car building techniques somewhat....

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2004, 08:24:52 AM »

No body work finished but this is the first time it starts to look like a car... The EH headlights are frenched ...the bonnet is extended to french the grille. the indicators and tail lights frenched... arial frenched... Fries with that? Frenching is the term given to recess something with an edge to finish it off...

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2004, 08:31:01 AM »

The conti kit is on the way to being worked out. The rear bar was finalised by cunning joinig of two rear bars cut into pieces  and bits swapped from side to side. The rear pan has been formed  utilising an FE ( theres that car again!)  spare tyre recess.... The rear bar side mounts have been moved back to suit  the new bar...

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2004, 08:39:29 AM »

Finished in White hi- fill primer the rear is taking shape..from the tailights down any way... This  shot better shows the rear pan.. Note the twin exhaust has been fitted here It splits  over the diff and is made from 2" stainless...

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2004, 08:42:12 AM »

With the Caddy tailights in place I was getting a better idea as to the finished product...

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »

Well I SAID the subframe had to come off again... We ended up powdercoating it and everthing else we could unbolt... brackets, front end etc... The car was driveable ..sort of.. I had a brumby fuel supply from a 5 litre can and a 350 holley on the engine... It all worked though... ignition  was dodgy at this stage too.... I painted the fire wall in the final colour we were planning on using..NO-ONE had ever sen a colour like it a the time..nows its every where... oh well... this is why I  changed it after a few years on the road...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 08:49:23 AM by streetneat » Logged

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2004, 08:58:05 AM »

Flipside....The hr rear end is wearing a sway bar ... this did not stay either.... Air bags need this to go and as a result of air bags  we dont need a sway bar ...Fuel tank has been deleted and the top serves a purpose of filling a hole... The underside is finished in a special tar spray mix I concocted .Exhaust is made but not fitted. Rims are powdercoated red and shod with Dunlop d8 tyres...these let me down the othr day and I have recently replaced them with Goodyear NCT... Seems after 7 years they age and start delaminating... The White wall flappers never saw the road either ....

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2004, 09:13:31 AM »

You can really see the damage from the sand blaster here .. I later heat shrunk all this damage out again... Here I am trying to save the roof line as it was really starting to bug me.... I added FC Ute ( from the dead one across the road)  door corners and whilst I was at it I canted the B pillar.. Two weeks this took to get right... later it got thrown away and done again....It was still too fat...

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2004, 09:20:26 AM »

Well one day after some careful planning I  walked into the work shop and broke out the cut off saw... I got some funny looks from a mate that was working with me at the time and without saying anything I proceeded to cut... 18 months of work going down the tube here... This pic exemplifies the way the roof was running up hill at the back.... Had to go... good tastes and ideas where beginning to flow liberally after this act.... At least I took the LPG tank out first.....

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2004, 09:25:20 AM »

The parcel tray had to go too... this was  a relief as it was one bit that didn't work out as planned... The donor FE came to the rescue yet again...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: