FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:41:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Info needed - vacuum washers  (Read 5596 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »

Ladies and Gents,

After my last little foray into Warmaride heaters, I'm keen to do a similar document for the Trico vacuum washers that were a NASCO option. Note that I don't want to go anywhere near vacuum wipers this time... just the washers .

I would propose a similar process to what I did with the Warmarides:
 Smiley collate the literature and give some of the background history on the washers,
 Smiley give the technical background on how the washers work,
 Smiley pull the washers apart, take lots of photos and write up a removal/overhaul/installation process,
 Smiley put together some info on where replacement parts can be obtained from, and
 Smiley Post it here on the forum for anyone to use as they need to.

The things I have at the moment:
 Smiley a set of vacuum washers - bottle, cradle, pump, escutcheons, nozzles and switch,
 Smiley an FB sedan to mount them on (sorry guys... maybe if I wash it enough it will turn into an FC),
 Smiley an FX-HR Masterparts cattledog, and an FB-only Masterparts cattledog,
 Smiley the FB and EK Workshop manuals,
 Smiley a great technical writeup from Laurie Scott,
 Smiley some contacts for replacement parts, and
 Smiley some pictures of a washer installed in an FB sedan.

If you have any of the following, I'd love to get hold of it (post it here, PM it, email it, happy to postage and photocopy fees):
 Smiley Scans (or photocopies) of Accelerator magazines where the washers were advertised,
 Smiley Scans (or photocopies) of the Installation instructions, (I know these are on the forum, but I can't get access as I am an FB/EK Club member, not an FE/FC Club member),
 Smiley Photos of washers and parts, either installed or not (I'm especially curious to see how they were mounted/plumbed if a brake booster was installed), and
 Smiley Anecdotes from anyone whos pulled a set apart (wonder if anyone has tried replacing a blown diaphragm... or screwed the dip pipe out of the vacuum canister?).

Finally, if you have a washer pump that is shagged (e.g. blown diaphragm), please let me know as I would love to get hold of one for dissassembly purposes (happy to pay).

Cheers,
Harv.
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »

G'day Harv,
I can Email you a copy of the fitting instructions for the vacuum washers Wink
Send me a p.m with your email address.
Regards ACE  Cool
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:51:13 PM »

PM sent - thanks Ace!
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »

Bump  Smiley

Any information on FE/FC/FB/EK vacuum washers welcome please - would particularly love to get hold of some Accelerator Magazine scans if anyone can help please.
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »

Still hoping that someone has some washer info (pretty please?).

In the meantime, can someone edjamakate me on some of the FE/FC washer subtleties please?
When I look at the FE Holden NASCO Accessories brochure “Screenclean” unit, the accompanying drawing shows the two washer nozzles mounted on the cowl inboard of the windscreen wiper pivot arms. When I look at the FE/FC foot pump installation instructions, and the FE vacuum pump installation instructions (thanks ACE!), they indicate that the washer nozzles are on the wiper pivot arm spacers (similar to FB).

My guess is that the artwork in the FE Nasco accessories brochure is incorrect, and that both FEs and FCs use the wiper pivot arm spacers. Can someone confirm for me please that this is correct? Does this also mean that all FE/FCs had the wiper pivot arms with grub screws, ready for washers, installed from the factory (just like FBs)?

Would dearly love a scan of the FC Nasco accessories brochure if anyone has one please.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »

Harv, early FE had washer squirters on the cowl as per the photo you describe. I have removed a set from an FE years ago. I never looked to see if the base of the wiper block was drilled or not but I have seen quite a lot of very early FE's and they all appear to have the drilled and tapped base.
My assumption is that on the release of the FE the designed Nasco washers were not ready, so the FJ unit was carried over for a while. If you read the accelerator magazine you see a lot of accessories are not advertised as being available until well after the FE was released.
I still have the squirters I took off that FE because one was broken and I have never found another one to repair it.  They look just like the ones in the picture.

Ken
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »

Cool  Cool... many thanks Ken.
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:50:14 PM »

OK, so the FE, FC and FB washer pivot arm spacers should all be drilled and tapped, with grub screws in place ready for the owner to go to the NASCO shop and buy windshield washers.

Silly me went to the NASCO shop (or at least it's 2010, expensive equivalent... EvilBay Grin) and bought some pivot arm spacers. When I compare them to the ones I already had, there is a subtle difference (see photos below).
The ones on the left of the photos (with traces of green paint) are thicker, and are drilled/tapped on both inboard and outboard sides (two grub screws for each spacer). The ones on the right of the photos (woth the nozzle installed) are wedge shaped and are only tapped on one side.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between FE, FC and FB windscreen wiper pivot arm spacers, and which ones the below are? Any idea what the nozzle was originally off (I understand from one of RET's old posts that the FE and FC Holdens nozzles (part number 7406027) are sort of a cone-shaped affair, maybe 5/16" across, with a threaded section at one end and a pin-hole in the side of the top.  The top of the 'cone' has a hexagonal head, reminiscient of the screw-on fitting at the end of a capuccino frother on an espresso machine).

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »

LH is FB, RH is FE FC

Ken
Harv
Guru

View Profile