FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2 THINGS PLEASE  (Read 3312 times)
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2003, 01:40:34 PM »

I'm just in the process of setting up my desired ride-height and suspension set-up.  I have a Hr front end with 2"drop spindles.  Could someone please advise of how much suspension travel the Hr front ends have.
ie. standard height springs bolted in but with car unweighted. will the suspension under weight and after hitting a bump, bottom out on the bump stop or springs or shock first. Can explain further if needed. Check out the photos section for the lowest height I think the van will have to sit.
My second question is re. Hr engine mount bolts. I don't have these. The rather large bolts that hold the rubber to the crossmember.  I assume I get Grade 8 high tensile but could someone plaese advise of the correct size/length etc
Thanks
Miikael
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 07:50:21 PM »

Miikael,
If you go to your local Holden dealer they should be able to get the bolts (Part No. 00122340) for you, as well as the nuts (PN 00271501), washers (PN 92138030), and spring washers (PN 120383).

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Graham.
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 08:59:10 AM »

HR coil springs in the car and under load have a length of around 7 3/8" to 7 1/2"  and a HR manual should give the clearance between the bump stops. But I imagine a v6 and gearbox etc weigh a bit more than a stock red motor etc so the springs might compress a bit more.
when bottoming out the suspension should stop on the rubber bump stops as that's what they are there for.
We must be due for some more updated pics?  

fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 10:03:22 AM »

Thanks guys. Your help much appreciated.  Should have a few new photos soon. Not alot happening though as trying to figure out what to do with the suspension. This leads me onto asking a few more questions and for some advise.
I haven't had the front wheels on the car before,but on the w/end found the time to try them on.(i was so excited as it finally looked like a car) The rears I have had on for a while. As a trial I left the front coils and shocks out and disconected the diff from the leafs so I could raise/lower the front and rear of the car as desired independent of each other. I want the car as low as possible so I need to figure out what to do and how to do the job properly. I know that there is all the weight to go onto the car yet, but it was to see the ride height as if it was finished and full of weight.
My conclusions were that the rear has no problem at all with clearance all the way to the bump stops.
Front was a bit different.  First I need to get the guards rolled. Not a problem. The problem comes with the turning of the wheel. At a really low height before bump-stop bottom out the wheel fouls on the guard when turning. So I raised the car a bit so the wheel had full turning circle and a bit of clearance to the guard. Good but the suspension still had even more gap to bottom out bumpers.(pretty sure it was around 2"). Thats the reason behind asking the original post. I thought about a custom coiled spring that limited the travel or a bumper on the shock rod(chrome shaft) or do I need to get standard spindles not 2" drop?
On another note.With the CRS transmission crossmembers.  That is the lowest hanging piece on the car. Could someone with a turbo 700 in there FC with CRS chassis kit tell me how much clearance there is between the box and the transmission tunnel(ek auto) and could I shorten the drop of the trans.x-member to allow the box to sit further up/closer to the tunnel than how it would be from CRS. I have yet to trial fit motor and box but will do shortly. I don't know whether doing this would throw out pinion angles etc. and cause harm.

Sorry for so many questions and such along post but it was the only wat to explain the situation properly. All your help and  advise again muchly appreciated.
Miikael  
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 10:21:49 AM »

With the transmission mount I jacked the gearbox up to max. hieght, with clearence to the floor, and then made the mount to suit that position. This should give max. ground clearence.The front pinion angle was then used set up the diff angle.
The front suspension sounds a bit trickier?!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: