FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:23:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear (Fixed) Quarter Windows  (Read 1867 times)
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2003, 07:13:58 AM »

People,

I have just started to reassemble the doors on my FE.  I am putting new rubbers etc into them, all sourced from Rare Spares.  The left rear door was the first one...

Craig Allsop has stated in the past that the Rare Spares rear quarter window rubbers are too high on their bottom, by about 2 millimetres.  He is correct there.  Craig had said that he linished (carefully) his rubbers so that they were of the correct size.  Again, his approach is the right one. Roll Eyes

Having his words in mind, I thought that I could do a good job with a Stanley type knife & a scalpel.  Big mistake.  The rubber will twist even if it is on a hard, flat surface and you will cut through to the glass channel. Angry

What I did as soon as the knife wnet through was to stop and remember Craig's words.  I put the glass into the rubber and went over to my bench grinder and very carefully ground (linished) the rubber to the correct profile, except for where I had cut through it.  This part had to stay too large, as the grinder would have removed the 'flap' of rubber all together.  When I put it into the door, I applied a bead of mastik (sp?) all the way around to ensure no leaks and filled in the area where the rubber stood proud on the bottom.

For the right rear door, I'll be using the grinder first and keeping the various blades for opening the plastic bag. Smiley

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: