FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:28:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A Pillar lower sections??  (Read 3107 times)
noels59

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »

Hi all first time post so he it goes last weekend the good wife and myself headed south of the boarder to pickup an FC Van which I had purchased on EBay, on arriving at the pickup point we found a little worse for wear FC Van only how worse would be revealed after the trip home. The car, she was meant to go straight to a friends place to be sand blasted well that won't happen for a little while now after getting back to Sydney I unloaded her into my carport and swept 2 bucket loads of rust off the trailer  Sad it soon became apparent that it was a lot worse than first thought. My father said he'd give me the $500.00 to send her to Sims's but I can see more in her than that so it has begun waiting for my rotisserie to arrive but the big problem is the bottom of both A Pillars are gone is this something that I'm going to have to manufacture myself? or is there a company that makes them? The fire wall is good from about half way up the floors are stuffed back to where there would be a rear seat if it was a wagon cross members are all but gone as is the main brace which goes under the seat, sills inner and out are virtually non existent tail gate and rear window are in good condition as for the rest of the car the body is in surprisingly good there was no front end with the car but am sure I'll pick one up along the way. Kind regards Noel     
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »

Hi Noel,

Best place to start is to look through all of the cars in the project section... Many hours of reading but plenty of real experiences in there as well to guide you.

You will need to make up the pillars as there are non being manufactured.

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the build.. But most of all we love looking at photos, start a thread in the project section, add the photos and ask away. A lot of people more than happy to help.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »

Sounds like some work there with a lot of welding to be done. Do you have some welding experience? If so the the project cars area is for you, as there are many pics of rust repairs to be studied. However if you don't have any experience welding may I suggest that maybe this is not the car for you to start with as a project.
I can hear the howls of protest starting now even as I write this from other forum members.
If you pay someone to fix the rust it will cost a lot of money based on your description of what is needed. Sure it can be fixed - anything can be fixed, but is it economical in the long run?

Just some thoughts

Ken
noels59

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »

Hi guys, Thanks for the info will post some pics tomorrow, sitting back and having a little think about it if I take a sheet of lead and a hammer out to a few old wrecking yards I might be able to find one that I can get the shape off and make a template that I can use. As for welding I have no skill in that area, my father and younger brother are very good have been given a list of things to get by father, I know its hard to believe that the son of a sheet metal worker that can't weld, as for it being to much time will tell but it's something i'm looking forward to and it's something I need to do. I can't wait until it's time to paint her anyhow thanks for the advice and concerns kind regards Noel.
FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »

Noel

Approach bit by bit.

Sounds like you are looking forward to giving it a crack.

All the best and keep the updates coming.

Cheers

Craig D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: