FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fe gearbox conversion  (Read 5139 times)
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2002, 11:59:44 AM »

I AM LOOKING AT PUTTING EITHER AN M20 OR SOME KIND OF 5 SPEED BOX INTO MY FE AS PART OF AN OVERALL REBUILD WHICH HOPEFULLY INCLUDES ALL HR RUNNING GEAR. I ALSO WANT TO RETAIN THE BENCH SEAT DUE TO ITS EXCELLENT CONDITION AND FOR LOGISTICAL REASONS.

I KNOW THAT CRS HAS A KIT FOR ALFA ROMEO 5SP BUT AT A COST OF AROUND $800 PLUS BOX THIS IS A LITTLE COST PRIHIBITIVE.

MY QUESTION IS :IS THERE ANOTHER 5SP BOX I CAN USE WITHOUT MUCH MODIFICATION? OR COULD I USE AN M20 WITH ONE TONNER GEARSHIFT AND A TALL DIFF?
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME WITH WHAT MODS ARE REQUIRED ETC.

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

DENIS

PS THE BOX WILL BE GOING BEHIND A 186
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2002, 06:55:43 AM »

Denis,  M20 is the way to go since the shifter is remote to the box, this allows you to lengthen the arms to wherever you want to put the shifter.  Hump mods will be required

Ken
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 10:10:05 AM »

KEN,

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I HAVE BEEN TALKING WITH GARY THORPE AGAIN RE THIS AND HE AGREES WITH YOU WITH RESPECT TO PARTS AVAILABILITY ETC.

WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO TELL ME WHAT HUMP MODS WOULD BE REQUIRED AND IF THEY ARE LIKELY TO BE DRASTIC? ALSO WHEN YOU MENTION LINKAGE LENGTH DOES THAT MEAN THAT I CAN USE A NORMAL SHIFTER?

DENIS
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 11:16:36 AM »

You can use any hump really, but the best one to use is a EK auto.  It fits like factory for a really professional looking job.
You will have to use the M20 shifter as the linkages do different things to what the column linkages do.

Ken
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2002, 11:06:16 AM »

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADVICE KEN

WOULD THE HUMP FROM A HT ALLSYNCHRO DO THE JOB AS I HAVE ONE AS A DONOR CAR. ALTENNATIVELY IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE WITH A EK AUTO HUMP?

DENIS
Scotty

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2002, 09:34:57 AM »

A Big "hump"from CRS is not that expensive and fits like a glove...
My question is how does the floorshift fit for comfort with a bench seat??? cause you dont want want a 4'long shifter with a 6'throw
Dellow automotive is another bunch to check for conversion kits.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2002, 11:06:49 AM »

Any hump can be made to fit really - just grap the oxy and start cutting. Grin Grin
A floor shift with a bench seat is not ideal because you have to reach forward a long way.  But if you dont like the look of bucket seats - this is what yo uhave to do.

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2002, 12:00:14 PM »

Check out my earlier thread titled 4spd shifter conversion for bench seat. I use a one tonner shifter and am only a short ar$e but don't have to stretch forward to change gears. Hope this helps.
Regards

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: