FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 20, 2024, 01:17:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1956 FE Special at GMH  (Read 9571 times)
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2008, 10:09:45 PM »

I couldn't remember if this one has been posted before...

Courtesy of National Archives.

'Special Holden Sedan outside GMH Factory Melbourne 1956.' is the photo title.

Possibly a fairly early FE.  Driver is wearing a hard hat by the looks which implies she has driven it out of the factory.  I doubt this was here regular job considering her footwear.  FJs in background.  GMH numberplate- were these on issue in Victoria then, or would it have been a 'special issue'?

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:13:22 PM »

Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »

The GMH plates were issued during the FJ series but Holden executives all got GMH plates. Earl Daum had GMH 000.

Ken
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »

Thanks Ken,
Closer inspection reveals number plate isn't GMH anyway... Huh

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:04:21 AM »

See how much nicer these cars sit on crossplies (forget the dynamic superiority of radials for the moment), they fill the wheel arches properly and are in proper proportion to the body height, showing the elegance of the design - no I'm not joking, these are pretty cars, they didn't sell so well just because they were made here and had a six cylinder engine. In fact the wheel height is almost precisely half the height of the body from the sill bottom to the highest part of the roof. This relationship is critical to how a car looks.

Even putting on 185/80 radials, as close as they are to the crossply diameter, doesn't look quite right. I can't understand why people put low profile tyres on the 13" rims, it destroys the balance, it actually makes the car look older and more ungainly. That's why a top chop works (within reason), it restores the wheel height to body height balance.

Hot rodders understand this, ever seen a highboy on low profile 13s? Mind you, I don't understand why people put huge wheels on early cars only to have two thirds of them up under the guards, either.

I expect everyone will agree with this Cool

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »

I'll bite...

I think stock height and crossplies look LAME and you are overthinking this way too much John.  Cheesy Cheesy

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
DN2168
nsw-club

Model: FC

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »

Yes John the tyre diameter to body ratio is critical as seen here  Wink Cheesy

Actually I like the 13" wheels on FE's & FC's, but like you they don't suit a set of 17" wheels.

Dean.
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »

They may look "lame" now Ed, but they have to be viewed in context, they were low cost family cars, they had 70 horsepower and they're 50+ years old.

I'm talking about the integrity of the original design, it generally takes a pretty good amateur to improve on the work of a professional. That is, of course, excluding the Ssangyong Stavic, which almost anyone could have done better Huh

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »

They may look "lame" now Ed, but they have to be viewed in context, they were low cost family cars, they had 70 horsepower and they're 50+ years old.

I'm talking about the integrity of the original design, it generally takes a pretty good amateur to improve on the work of a professional. That is, of course, excluding the Ssangyong Stavic, which almost anyone could have done better Huh

Cheers
John

True, the original design is a good one, and I reckon all of us here would agree.. it is after all a FE FC forum.

Improvements however are a totally different thing... it's all about design, lines and as you mentioned proportion... it's pretty subjective though, what one person likes is what another loathes...

Interestingly when I modded the lights on the wagon I made sure the headlight peak would sit in exactly the same spot as the standard chrome peak.. why??  the proportion was OK to begin with.

so... In theory if a late model wheel/tyre combo matches the original dimensions, the car should look OK.. however if you go overboard on the wheel to tyre proportion, it will look crap despite having the correct overall dimension.

so it's all a question of taste???

Cheers

Ed

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »

And a question of how big do you want your disc rotors ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »

See how much nicer these cars sit on crossplies (forget the dynamic superiority of radials for the moment), they fill the wheel arches properly and are in proper proportion to the body height, showing the elegance of the design - no I'm not joking, these are pretty cars, they didn't sell so well just because they were made here and had a six cylinder engine. In fact the wheel height is almost precisely half the height of the body from the sill bottom to the highest part of the roof. This relationship is critical to how a car looks.

Even putting on 185/80 radials, as close as they are to the crossply diameter, doesn't look quite right. I can't understand why people put low profile tyres on the 13" rims, it destroys the balance, it actually makes the car look older and more ungainly. That's why a top chop works (within reason), it restores the wheel height to body height balance.

Easy to fix just run 14's with radials, takes the wheel size back to about standard and puts the gearing back where it should be.
                                  Pedro F4+

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »

John, what gives you the impression they didn't sell well?  They were a runaway success finally achieving just over 50% of the market share before the credit squeeze of 1961. The 6 cylinder engine was seen as a big advantage over the 4 cylinder English cars on offer, whilst the V8 American cars were far too expensive for the average Joe.  The Zephyr was a real competitor but its higher price lost out in most sales.
And as far as its Australian heritage was concerned - people were more inclined to buy an Australian or a British car because they were proud of their country or (if they were of British extraction) their heritage.
Nowadays people don't care about these things and see Australian cars as inferior to European or even Japanese cars which is very sad. I would rather drive a Ford than a euro or Jap car - not because they are not good cars, but because I am proud of our manufacturing ability here in Australia and I will support it no matter what anybody says.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »

Ken,

I think you've misinterpreted what John said.

No I'm not joking, these are pretty cars, they didn't sell so well just because they were made here and had a six cylinder engine.

i.e. it's not just because they were made here and had a six cylinder engine that they sold so well; they're also pretty cars.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 10:30:37 PM »

I agree with John. Grin
Regards.
Leon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)