FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:17:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Power Steering v6  (Read 13245 times)
HARKO
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2002, 05:38:29 AM »

After a couple of day's off air and with a broken computer I've switched on and tuned in to find out how this topic was developing...........
I have learned one important rule here, To state very clearly what I am trying to say before typing it .
Most of you blokes I have met or will meet one day and I hope to god you hav'nt already labeled myself or disapointed bloke
I obviously got up a few blokes noses with a comment or two and wouldnt have written them to see this outcome
We are all blokes sharing the same interest and dealing with information we have can become a very touchy subject indeed,Thanks disapointed bloke for sharing your posting with us as I dont think I could have gotten out of this one without it and I appologise for raising tempers here,     Harko Cool
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2002, 09:08:53 AM »

Back on the subject, the bloke I bought my FC off was in the process of fitting a power rack from a Jag to his rod and commented that the power function was not too hard a modification. I'm just wondering if he was right, and is shortening the rack and keeping the power function the hard bit , or is the main problem just getting the rack set up properly?

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2002, 11:00:53 AM »

sgo,  the hard bit is getting the power steering rack shortened.  Fitting it up is relatively!!! easy
The reason no one offers a shortened power rack is because it is way more difficult than just chopping it down and adding a few more teeth to the rack.
What you really need to find is a rack which doesn't need shortening to install.
SO HERE IT IS----------------------------- Cheesy
Some of you may know Mark Henderson's 350 Chev powered FC which won Grand Champion at the Mildura nats.  Mark had a serious motorcycle accident after that and is now a paraplegic.  Consequently he could no longer drive his pride & joy
Well he turned up at the last nats in Sydney in it with hand controls and a power rack to help with the steering effort.  A very gutsy effort.
The rack is from a VOLVO & is unshortened.  It was fitted by Hoppers Stoppers (more free ads) and I don't know all the details but if there is interest I will find out.

I sound like a walking ad for Hoppers Stoppers but believe me, if you talk to them you get a conversation, not just a "take it or leave it" response which you may get from other suppliers.   Give them a try.

Ken
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2002, 06:47:37 AM »

Well what a CAN OF WORM'S this turned into. Harko I think you are right and think before you type. As Iam often told by my Wife to think before I speak. (its not what you say but how you say it) I was not trying to Get Anybody off side. THIS MEANS YOU D.B & HARKO. I hope now the lids back on we can all get back to our cars and sharing info that is what this is all about is it not

Regards
Sarge

P.S AS I SAID I WAS NOT TRYING TO GET PEOPLE OFF SIDE JUST GET SOME INFO ON A VERY SORT AFTER TOPIC

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2002, 09:52:54 PM »

A power rack that doesn't need shortening sounds like a real good idea, but before we all rush off to the local Volvo wreckers with a tape measure in hand, or around to Hoppers Stoppers, is the rack mounted to the front or rear of the front-end?

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2002, 01:49:24 AM »

sgo,  I've been around to Hoppers Stoppers to get a few more facts.
The rack is front mounted - but they were not 100% happy with it as the rack needed to go higher at the front to totally eliminate the bump steer.  This would have meant cutting the subframe at the front and reshaping it.  They would do this on a rebuild but were limited in the amount of work they could do on Mark's car.   Don't get me wrong - the conversion was not not that bad, the car is still very driveable and well engineered.

Ken
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2002, 06:21:42 PM »

hi my name is fchoon i am from the 48-67 holden car club in newe i am running a lh in my fc but a lot of our members are running commodore racks on hr front ends. they run them behind the rack by making brakets off the rack so it runs true with your tie rod ends. the other alernative is to run a mitsubishi L300 van front end with power steering these are an excelent alternative to a overpriced HR front end even though there is a bit of modifiying as they dont bolt strait up.all these conversions are going to need sump modifications. hey but the LH rack on the front like mine is light as a feather with 16x7 walkinshaw rims Smiley

FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2002, 11:22:31 AM »

dear disappionted bloke

sorry this is a while coming but i have not really followed this topic much recently. if i upset you with the description of selfish then i wish to apologize. perhaps while i am sitting down eating this crow i will consider the fact that things are not always as they may at first seem.

i am not even considering the conversion for my car but i hope we can still be friends Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed.yours sincerely

denis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: