FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ute Identification  (Read 2696 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2003, 11:07:56 PM »

I received this email yesterday:

Hi

I require some help in the identification and original colour scheme of the attached photo.  Hopefully I have narrowed it down to the FC-FE models, my client believes it to be 1954-56.  I am not sure if these dates are correct.

We restore photos and I have client who requires the attached Black & White photo to be restored and coloured to the original colours if possbile.

Any help from your members would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.
Patrick

This is the reply I have sent him:

Patrick,

That's one of the more interesting requests I've had in a while!  I'm more than happy to help you where I can.

The vehicle is an FC ute.  These were manufactured between May 1958 and December 1959, so if the photo represents the family next to the brand new set of wheels, then that's as accurate as I can be.  At first glance I thought I wasn't going to even be able to tell you that much.  The vehicle in the image has been partially repainted and modified from how it would have left the GM-H factory.  Ordinarily FE and FC utes are one colour all over, and can be distinguished in side profile by the badge on the front guard - the FE has "Holden" script, the FC a die-cast spear.  But the ute in the photo you've sent me has had a chrome side treatment that has included the removal of that badge.

On closer inspection you can see the top of the dash is near-black, which is a feature of the FC.  The FE's dash top was the same colour as the car.  (The FE actually came before the FC).

Now, as to colours generally.  Your client can't recall what colour the ute was?  There are very limited options - the FC ute was only available standard in a handful of colours: black, dark grey, cream, off-white, light blue, light green, light grey......  I think we can safely rule out the first four of those!  If I had to guess, I think it's the right colour already - light grey, actually known as "Ascot Grey".  That chrome treatment is almost certainly off-white "India Ivory" at the front, but as for the colour at the back?  It could be anything!  Gut feeling would be dark red or possibly dark grey.  Grey vehicles had red interiors, originally.  Pity about the people standing in front of the car - I'd like to see the rest of that trim! ;-)

I've put the image, your request and the response above onto our club forum, to see if any of the other 'gurus' can shed more light on the subject.  The address is at the bottom of this note.  There are swatches of most of the original Holden colours on our site at

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/gmhpaintnumbers.html

Hope this helps, and if I get any more suggestions, I'll pass them on.

Holden Together,

Richard Thomas
Secretary

I've attached the picture below.  Anyone else got an opinion?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 01:31:37 AM »

Hey Ret,

Not like I am one to judge but I will have a guess. I think you are right with the Ascot grey and the strip to the rear when compared to the rear cover would also tend to agree with the dark red theory as it looks to be a deeper colour.
Maybe one of our resident computer techs could do a range of colours and compare?

Cheers
Jason  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 03:03:02 AM »

There was an FC Ute getting arround thePerth northern suburbs a few years ago with the same side flash. Light blue with a white insert.

As far as the dash top goes my FE ute has a black dash top
It is a Perth assembled Ute Approx Feb 1958

It also has black inner guards

Hope this confuses you all

Gary

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: