FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 12V thermos on 240V transformer??  (Read 11130 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »

Hi guys,

Im building a vented, noise insulated box for my air compressor and thought about using some old thermo fans I have lying about.

now these fans run at about 10A or so.

can I buy a 240V to 12V transformer to run it??

I was thinking about something like this.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3048&keywords=12V+transformer&form=KEYWORD

it is 150W, max current of 12.5A so looks ballpark correct current..
. now forgive me I have long forgotten my basic physics but would this power my thermo fan?

I was thinking of hooking it up to a thermo switch so as the air temp inside the box increases the fan turns on.  I have a water temp davies craig switch but could prob find something to suit 12V easier than 240V.

any thoughts?

Oh in case you are wondering why???, I am trying to reduce my garage noise due to noise complaints.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »

Ed.  The current rating for the fan is fine, however, it is AC (alternating current) as opposed to the fan requirement which is DC (direct current) as supplied by a car battery. Probably running the output through a 30amp bridge rectifier may run it satisfactorily.  Would need to do a bit of experimenting to try it.  Unfortunately I do not have a thermo fan to try it out.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

JUST use the ones you showed off jaycar or gme ones whick i use to run our suds pump.

computer monitor powerpacks are cheap as chips free most of the time but are only good for about 6 amps which i use to charge my model plane stuff.

Dont stuff about with switches just hook the transformers up to your pressure switch so when it pumping they are on.

If 3 phase just come off one phase to run them.

we used that foam filled alloy like they use in caravan anexxes to make a box kept the sound right down.

a Lot cheaper than a rotary screw which im installing at home its about 11 grand but whisper quiet..

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »

Sorry keith only just saw that yeah try to get 240 to 12v dc whick GME do one bit pricy tho

KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »

Jaycar have a 240 to 12 volt DC @ 18 amp switch mode power supply.  Cat # MP3250

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »

Hey Ed, as a simple alternative why not try using a motorbike/jet ski/golf cart/scooter battery with a trickle charger, preferably solar type.

Will work ok but may struggle if the fans run for extended periods. Get a battery with the highest Amp Hour rating you can afford.

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »

If you use a battery Ed, use a deep cycle.

Dean.
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »

ED,
      Im in the same mind set  as to run a deep cycle or larger car battery with a car charger... if the charger and battery is dedicated to the thermo fan than what power it draws out of the battery during the day will no doubt be re-charged duing the night, plus if you ever need a battery or charger, you have them spare ready for  quick use...kill 2 birds with 1 stone....maybe you already have a spare battery and charger

i guess it's a bit like the old CB radio days i had when i was a kid having a car battery and charger set up was always my back up if needed...CB's do have a bit of a power draw too if i recall ( think think long time ago ) and never drained the battery down

see what you think..... but it's an easy option, even better to do what fchoon said and connected the switch the pressure drop and it's set and forget

let us all know how you went

"Have A Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!! "  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »

wow..lots of helpful replies...

im trying to steer away from the batteries.. simply as I just want to turn it on and let it do it's thing.

the computer power pack to power up some computer fans sounds like a good idea Pete, I have a couple of spares lying around.

Im really hopeless with AC electrics but I can work my way about DC OK.

planning to use some scrap ply about 12mm thick, lined with acoustic foam if I get fancy or carpet.

outlets/inlets will be baffled.. I reckon that should make it pretty quiet. 

it's got to be cheap too.

Cheers, thanks for the advice.

Ed

in the shed
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »

Ed,
   maybe 2 bits of thin ply with foam sheets ( or expander foam )  in bewteen, that will stop nearly any sound from coming out..quick, cheap and easy !!

as mentioned b4 ( if you compressor is close to window or outside ) go solar fans, sun comes up, fan turns on..costs nothing...even if you have to run a small amount of cheap speaker wire to join the dots...easy set n forget... i used a solar fan to extract heat from a shed, the only prob was i didnt use an outdoor solar panel, it lasted for like 6mths but did cough up a wet lung and is now RIP.. easy to replace with a cheap outdoor solar cell

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »

ok will check out the solar fan idea.  It is close to a door but wrong side of the house.  (SE).

I should get some power off my solar PV inverter which sits above the compressor but i'm not qualified to do so!!

will also get some lumbar for the twin ply idea with foam.

quiet will be good.

Cheers

Ed
 Smiley

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:43:44 AM »

Update on the compressor enclosure...

I ended up building an enclosure from 15mm ply and framed it with 35 x 70mm lumber.

The interior was lined with acoustic foam, and a 120mm 240V ball bearing fan was wired up to the compressor power feed at the pressure switch.  Initially I had it operating only when the compressor was pumping but it required more air flow than that.

the intake and exhaust was baffled to prevent noise escaping, and the door was gasketed as well.

the result was a SIGNIFICANT reduction in noise, and now I am able to use the air compressor at night... my first test run was 10.30pm last night and the noise now is comparable to a quiet air con unit.

I am happy as now I will be able to think while working, and hopefully those around me wont be as annoyed either.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »

Sounds good or no sounds  Ed  Grin     

It's got me thinking about my compressor so i can use it at night, plus stack things on top of it, like the FE Work shop book  Cheesy 

might do some thinking and measurements

but it's a great idea either way ED

"Have a Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!!"   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

FE 4 ME

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »

the result was a SIGNIFICANT reduction in noise, and now I am able to use the air compressor at night... my first test run was 10.30pm last night and the noise now is comparable to a quiet air con unit.

I am happy as now I will be able to think while working, and hopefully those around me wont be as annoyed either.

Cheers

Ed

Good on you Ed,

At least you will be able to keep working without the fear of upsetting the neigbours!

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »

bloody neighbours Angry its getting harder to do projects at home!!!!!!!

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: