FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:51:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic:  Brake booster  (Read 13506 times)
griffo

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:39:39 AM »

I,ve got a VH44 booster that I think needs a reco, can anybody help with advice and where to go In Central Vic ? The unit is sucking air which makes the brakes spongy and runs rough at idle ( its an auto )
thanks
Griffo
FC-225

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:16:43 AM »

Hi,

http://www.hydroboost.com.au

Cheers

AL
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 06:12:32 AM »

Thanks Al

Do you know if they are hard to fix yourself? I think that the diaphram needs replacing ,but wouldnt know if this is difficult or not to do ?

Griffo.
FC-225

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »

Yes,can be done by yourself,but hardly worth the trouble,especially if your cylinder needs reco as well.

AL
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:41:04 AM »

Hi, Al and anybody else who wants to throw thier knowledge into the ring.

I am keen to have a go at this myself ,the unit seems to operate OK well sort of ,  the brake pedal is as hard as , ( after being adjusted )and  when at an intersection  the vacumn hisses which makes the motor run crap.
So should I be brave and pull this thing apart or am I asking for trouble ? Are there any special tools required to get that special thingy off or on ?
Griffo.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:03:02 AM »

Griffo since you asked for a second opinion I will give you mine.  I agree with Al!
I work in a brake shop and we don't pull apart boosters and repair them ourselves for 2 reasons.
1. Some are quite technical to pull apart and difficult to assemble without the correct tools.  The VH44 does not fall into this category however.
2. We always have the cylinder bore sleeved since without sleeving we found that 9 out of 10 boosters come back leaking within the warranty period (definately applies to VH44 boosters)
So we send EVERY booster we sell out for reco at a professional booster repair shop and they carry the warranty.
In my opinion you are wasting your time putting a kit through a VH44 booster unless you sleeve the cylinder bore.
And I know someone will write and say that they have done it and that it worked for them, but they may have also been lucky!  As Clint Eastwood said - "do you feel lucky?"Grin  I think Hydroboost only charge about $120 for a reco unit.

Ken
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:27:11 AM »

Ken ,
Thanks for the words of wisdom,
I will heed your years of experience and go to a professional  Grin
and            " this punk aint feelin lucky, "

Cheers Griffo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...