FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:52:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FB-EK bonnet lock cable  (Read 4758 times)
detective

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »

G'day all  ..  i know i'm not on the right forum for this, but somebody may know the reason a bonnet lock cable never came standard on an FB or EK?...

...i believe they were an accessory on these models and have seen only one fitted over the years...not a normal style of thing and was basically an inner and outer cable with a prong poking through the lower catch plate when the bonnet was shut...

... i'm going back a long time here, but this detail really is a quirk of Holden production as i'm pretty sure EVERY other Holden model has always had a bonnet release cable....any clues or ideas ??
snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »

EK's had the bonnet cable standard, It was an option on the FB.  Dave
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »

Yes I agree, I think the reason was that the FB came out in pretty tough economic times. A number of things were deleted in order to save money, the bonnet cable was one and a lion on the hub caps and bonnet was another.
Have you also noticed that the FB EK is the only model which has the same rear door for the sedan and the wagon?
Anyway, the buying public didn't like it, and the bonnet cable lock and the lion on the hubcaps and the front of the car were returned for the EK.

Ken
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »

Just to clarify ,the cable on the EK was a cable that was attached to a lock bolt [rod ] .As far as I am aware ,the only model that had these .The bonnet pull [cable]was pulled before the catch release lever[under the bonnet . The EK I had still worked this way but everybody would try to release the bonnet by pulling as hard as possible on the cable knob. Cheers Haydn
snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

Yeah that's right Hayden, the cable unlocks it but doesn't pop the bonnet up, you have to do that with the latch under the bonnet.   Dave
detective

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:27:40 AM »

..i had numerous EK's and FB's and crawled over heaps of 'em in the paddocks around our way....never saw the cables nor the dashboard knob/bracket for that matter ??...

....did they all get removed over the years?...and i'm going back to around 1978/9 when they were under 20 years old  ....it's all a bit of a mystery to me
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:50:05 AM »

This old girl had one.

Photo taken in my driveway about 20 years ago. Cheers Haydn
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 08:00:38 AM »

My EK wagon has one. My FB sedan does not.

Gotta love it when someone forgets to "unlock" the EK bonnets, then forces the crap out of the bonnet... snaps the end off the lock cable  Sad.

Cheers,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: