FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:13:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Photo's  (Read 6189 times)
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« on: January 25, 2002, 05:52:01 AM »

Richard,
Is there room on the site for a photo section?
I don't know whether or not people would be interested, but thought it was a good idea at the time.
Regards
Jason. Grin

Phone +64 223509263
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 04:43:45 AM »

Hey there Jason,

I'll look into it.  Because this site is owned (and paid for) by members of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia, each of these clubs has (or can have) an area under their own section for their club members' cars.  Whilst this area (the forum) is a resource for all, images can take up a hell of a lot more space than discussion boards.

I have also been in discussions with Rusty from OldHolden.Com, and his site provides this service.  He's also got a lot more bandwidth and space than I have, too!

I'll see what's around that can allow guests to upload files and limit their size to something reasonable.  I'll post another message here then.  In the meantime, is anyone else keen to have this facility here?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2002, 01:05:15 AM »

I think a photo section is a good idea, very resource hungry though, as you say Richard.
Might also be useful under the Technical "How To" section for the hard to describe bits.

Brad
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2002, 04:26:54 AM »

Just a note on this.  You don't have to be able to upload a picture onto our servers to display it in a message.  Take for example this photo:

which was taken at Saturday's NRMA Motorfest.  I uploaded this image onto my ISP's server, in my web-page area (that I've never used).  If you have a dial-up account, you too have at least 5MB of space for this type of use.  In order to embed a picture, you have to know its URL.  Armed with that, click on the icon that looks like a framed-print (in the Post Reply window) and you'll get a set of tags to put your URL into that look like this:
[ img ] URL [ /img ]

Your ISP's home page should direct you to a help area that will explain how to transfer files onto their server, and figure out the URL(s) for them.  The URL for the picture above is http://members.optusnet.com.au/~thomasri/images/motorfest.jpeg

There are also dozens of sites offering free web-page space that can be used for this purpose.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers
RET

[edit: where to find help at your ISP]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2002, 04:33:17 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2002, 04:35:26 AM »

Hi.
Another way to provide photos without clogging up the board would be to take advantage of sites that cater to image storing in photo albums. What this means is that you can open an album that you can store pictures in and then provide the links via the URL as Richard said above. These sites don't usually charge, as they come with advert pop ups, this being their way of paying for this service. One site that I know of is Starphoto. They can be located at http://starphoto.starblvd.net/
I believe Yahoo also provide a photo album service, not sure if it is available to Yahoo customers only though.
Regards
Alex

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2002, 05:50:12 AM »

Thought I'd take my own advice and check out Starphoto. I set up an album and here is a link to a picture that I uploaded to it.
http://photo.starblvd.net/~customfc/1-1-1.jpg?i=1013133125

My next trick is to work out how to post the picture onto the board, not just the link. Perhaps Richard has some tips on this? Starphoto was very simple to use, with clear directions. All you need is a name and an email....something we all have?
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: February 04, 2002, 06:00:19 AM by custom_fc » Logged

JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2002, 07:08:24 AM »

If this works, I might have a go as I have been trying to use my own URL to no avail (yet).
Richard did you need to download something else to put the photo on you home page?, or could you just transfer the photo straight across.
Jason

Phone +64 223509263
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2002, 01:14:22 AM »

You can link photos from Star Boulevarde directly in these boards.  As I wrote previously, when writing (or editing) a message, use the button that looks like a framed picture in the 'Add YABBC tags' area above the Message area.  (It's fourth from the left, bottom row).  That will whack some tags at the end of your current message that look like this [ img ] URL [ /img ].  Replace the string "URL" between the tags with the literal URL of the picture, just as you do with web-link tags.

For example, here's Alex's picture (which I took, by the way Wink )

The tags in my message look like this: [ img ]http://photo.starblvd.net/~customfc/1-1-1.jpg?i=1013133125 [ /img ]

Hope that helps, and we see more pix on the boards!

RET

JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2002, 08:34:35 AM »

Here's my effort.
This is a photo of my Fe Panel Van, this is the condition when I found it at a place called Mareeba in Nth Queensland.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2002, 08:36:37 AM by fevanv6 » Logged

Phone +64 223509263
craiga
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2002, 08:55:08 AM »

What a great find.

How are you progressing with rebuilding it?

Are you going stock or modified?

Here's a photo of my baby poo brown FC Special.

It's great to see so many people using the chatroom Grin

Cheers,

Craig.
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 12:05:35 PM »

The rebuild is steadily progressing, after a sandblast. Now welding the shotgun hole left over. I am putting the running gear out of a Vt/Vx commodore inside, but trying to keep the outside as original looking as possible. Hopefully only the wheels and exhaust will be the only difference. Am going to paint it Wildberry off a PT Cruiser....All of my small bits have been sandblasted and painted, and stainless nuts and bolts right through to finish off. Even manage to fit gas struts to the rear in the same bolt holes as the old strut.
Thanks to all off the people on the site who have answered my sometimes silly questions, as when I started this it was my first attempt at a rebuild.
Here is a pretty current photo....Still looking for a replacement subframe to continue.
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2002, 02:11:12 AM »

Hi Jason.
Your van is coming along nicely. Noticed you removed the windows from the side. Nice to see some pix, keep us updated.
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: