FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 06:24:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Tank  (Read 14795 times)
fx48_eh64

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »

Hi guys,
Im new to the forum,
Have just acquired an FC Ute, And from what I have seen on here fuel tanks are a bit thin on the ground..
Mine has a few rust holes  top and bottom and is basically rattling from all the rust inside it.

Is there a tank from another model car that fits easily? I was even thinking a sedan style tank with a spare wheel well in it. then a lift up panel in the floor to access it

does anyone have any ideas?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »

Hi welcome over.
Fe fc fb ek wagon ute panel van all interchange and are pretty thin on the ground.
I have a new one someone has manufactured all tigged up .
outside has surface rust but inside is very clean was chasing around 350 for it or 440 powdercoated black.
its 40 gallons not 30 as well.
i can post a pic tonight.

pete

FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »

Big tank pete at 40 gallons 160 plus litres lol
regards fatboy

fatboy
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50:46 AM »

So im assuming its a 40 litre tank and not a 30 then ?

All i remeber being told it was a 40 not a standard 30.
Im a sheetmetal worker for a reason..

Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »

Standard wagon tank is 9 1/2 gallons US which is approx. 36 litres.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »

Ill measure it and give you a litre capacity would be easier.. Cheesy

fx48_eh64

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:10:55 PM »

ok another question...
Measuring up a VN commodore tank today,
I reckon I can get it to fit, but will it affect the value of the car if I use  it?
it wont hang down any lower than a drop tank would   ie  it would stay higher than the leaf spring curve line
I need to repair the floor area around the tank anyway so cutting it out and modding it is no big drama
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »

Quite a few people have used Commodore tanks in modifieds as they fit easily and supply fuel the way a modern V8 or V6 wants it.
If you wan to run the original grey or a red six then you would need to modify the tank to run a simple vacuum fed pick up or change the engine fuel system to accept a pressure fed supply.

Ken
fx48_eh64

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »

thanks ken for the feedback,

Simple red motor and Trimatic so yea tank will be modified to suit

working on replacing the chassis kink in front of the rear springs at present but just run oout of mig gas, don't ya hate that  Smiley
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »

Has anyone made a new tank, adhering to the road clearance 200mm rule or is it different for a fuel tank? What's a safe but deepest droptank, using original configulation, that works, for a car lowered a few inches? I was thinking straight gas so also thought of dedicated gas with a donut tank. Does anyone know a rough guesstimate of how low from the existing boot floor base that one can go, using a standard leaf spring but a vs Ute Commodore shortened diff? I'm asking too much hey. Id like to make the decision now so I can at least get the tank chosen. I won't be running an efi engine just a sbc.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »

As most readers know ,I have an old FC van running a standard tank and a small red motor . The issue is that if you want to use the spare wheel compartment then you have a standard rim and tyre in there and have all sorts of problems if your towing a trailer and get a flat . If you use a bigger tank you can fill your spare tyre compartment with a bigger tank but the fuel filler pipe angle gets ugly. In one of my Vauxhalls I run a FC sedan tank with a VP commodore sender unit with the float wire bent to suit and the fuel pump removed and the pipe blocked off and pick up is through the return pipe with a external fuel pump on the line with a large steel fuel filter between the tank and the pump to reduce air lock [no swirl pot in a FC tank]. And run a V6 so don't understand the fuel pump issue. Cheers Haydn
FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

Fe350chev

I designed and had a mate build my own fuel tank.
It runs all the VN gear I.e. In-tank primer pump, sender etc.
I have modified the rear floor to fit the tank in. It is narrow enough to allow the exhaust to pass up either side between the tank and the rear springs.
Reading the rules the tank must not protrude below the imaginary line from where the rear tyre meet the pavement to the lowest part of the rear body.
See Re: Here we go again!!!

Cheers Craig D
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »

Thanks. Still haven't figured out what I'll do.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »

You could give me a call or message as I have fitted other tanks , internal pumps ,external on line ,custom and also have an old dented but solid original ute , van and wagon tank here . Haydn
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »

This is prob what I'll end up doing. Dump either side through the springs to the outside.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »

I guess most owners a just driving these for show, but it's no coincidence that nearly every FE and FC that I have owned [and I have owned dozens]has had a dent in the tank . Like I said ,a downward slope on the filler pipe tends to ensure that the tank is kept low . And your sender unit and or your gauge will need modifying . Cheers Haydn
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »

F@&k being a trailer Queen. I want to drive mine

VS tank strapped in today

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »

FCV08 do you know what pressure the vn primer pump operates at? They were low pressure until 2 pumps were run after series 2 vn. Did you run a regulator or just the normal pump on the engine if it is carbed? If anyone has a vn book there, can you look up the fuel pressure for me on the series 1. Thanks.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: