FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: keeping shine on alloy  (Read 5559 times)
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2006, 02:56:51 AM »

hi all, is there a product that can be applied to polished alloy/ aluminium to keep the shine and wont be affected by engine temps? or do i just keep polishing Tongue
i remember reading here somewhere of such a product but im stuffed if i can find it now.

cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:25:44 AM »

The Original PURPLE metal polish, made by Californian Custom is pretty good, try auto or truck parts shops.
Gary
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:49:49 AM »

cheers zulu, i currently use autosol which i find is pretty good in bringing up the shine and it does stay shiny, but im curious to find if there is some sort of durable laquer or similar that can be applied to the metal.

cheers

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:34:08 AM »

if you want to preserve it and degrease it you will probably need something like a por 15 alloy wheel resto kit. and it comes with a free tube of autosol to polish it with before you apply the supplied 2k clear.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »

The POR gear is pretty good, I used it on the manifold and rocker cover on the FE and they still look the goods. It says it can be brushed on, the first coat looked great, but the second left brush marks. Might have been operator error though  Roll Eyes

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 09:16:04 PM »

thanks heaps guys, thats the stuff i was after.
i have just spent roughly around 100 hours  Tongue Roll Eyes hand polishing my VK efi manifold, never never again  Tongue.
it looked easy but the casting was absolute crap!!
i was scared i'd rub through in places just trying to get some of the pitting out.
now ive just got the tappet cover left and im almost done with the throttle body. its going to look good but its fiddly dirty work.
this is where harkos 20 min rule really comes into play Grin

cheers
dean

HARKO
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 07:03:11 AM »

Funny that I started to cut back my injection a while back and only spent 20 minutes on it hehe  Grin
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:01:29 AM »

someone offerd me a polished vk manifold once for $500.
I have got most of the paint of the one I have here and started sanding but it looks barely started on.
got any tips for polishing these manifolds?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:24:35 PM »

hi leon, $500 is a lot but even with propper tools id reckon it would still take a while to do. if you have yourself a dremel or air die grinder you can do this a lot easier if not then grab a drink and read on Wink

first and the best tip i can give anyone is unless you are entering as an elite in any show ONLY POLISH AREAS THAT ARE GOING TO BE SEEN & SPEND MORE TIME ON AREAS THAT GET SEEN FIRST

i initially got that horrible orange baked on plastic like paint sandblasted off, even then not all of it came off.
then got myself a couple of wire wheels ( ones that mount onto your drill) and hit the manifold with these., they got the rest of the paint off eventually but you will find they dont reach in all the places, but they also started to knock back some of the texture of the casting which is a good thing.

next i grabbed some 80 grit paper some beers and some decent music and started sanding. after a couple of weekends at this stage i realised that a cheap pair of mechanics gloves will stop my fingertips from being cut back and blood getting everywhere. skin does not like constant contact with 80 grit Embarrassed :-/ they also helped on cold canberra winter days.

as with polishing any alloy you just have to work your way through varying grades of paper, i found the hardest part of this job is really only the first 4 grades, 80, 120, 220, and 400. these took a good couple of weekends but went through the final grades ( 600, 800, 1200 then finally 2000 ) in about 6-8 hours.

before i went too far i cut the EGR  port from the base
( this is not needed ) and got someone to weld up the hole. also if you are still going to run carbs with the supercharger check and see what holes you will need to use on the manifold and get the ones you dont welded up.

you can also grab yourself one of those little engraving type tools from supercheap only around $20- $30 which comes with a range of attachments and will let you get into some of the fiddly areas.
the castings on these manifolds is really poor, even on mine there are bits that look very much like wrinkles.

and finally if you have a bench grinder grab yourself some buffing pads and finnish the job off with these. make sure you wear some decent safety galsses and a dust mask, as crap will go every where. if not you can get smaller buffing wheels that attaches to you drill.

i guess there is no real easy way to do this unless you pay someone but it having the right tools ( not like me) does make it simpler but after all this hard work they do look sexy when done Grin
but as i stated before apply harkos rule and you'll be suprised how much you can get done.

i will try and get some pics on the weekend and show you.

good luck
dean

bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 05:56:04 AM »

Gaday!
 I feel your pain guys,l spent countless weekends polishing the inlet manifold for the Chevy,the best tool l found for the job was the trusty die-grinder with a piece of pipe the right size to fit in the collar,l cut a slot through both sides of the pipe long ways & cut small pieces of sandpaper to slide in the slot & wrap around the pipe,it works well as the sandpaper wears (quickly!)it sort of replaces itself ,but dont leave it too late to replace it,cause you just have to sand the marks out left from the pipe! To polish it l wrapped a small piece of flanelette around the trusty pipe with the buffing-wheel polish on it.
I then had it ceramic coated to protect it from constant polishing & fuel-stains etc. Jope this helps!  Daz.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 07:25:21 AM »

Good idea Daz, I have used that a few times also.
I also found at an abrasives store a clamp that tapers to a point with a reverse thread lock. This fitted up to the die-grinder and you clamped your sand-paper or felt for polishing, got right into the smaller nooks and crannys.

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 03:01:11 AM »

here is the manifold and throttle body so far, it could do with some more fine detail work but franlky its not a show car and my arm really hurts from sanding  :-/ :-/

im also modifying an aluminium pipe which will contain all the wiring for injectors etc and will sit just above the fuel rail.

im seriously thinking of handing the tappet cover over to someone professional for a polish, ive got more important things to spend hours on, like wiring, plumbing lines and computer and about 1000 other things Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
dean

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 11:56:40 PM »

Looking fantastic Dean,

I gave up polishing my rocker covers, I may finsih the job properly one day.

Your manifold and TB look great. Cant wait to see it finsihed.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 12:03:57 AM »

Guys,

For bigger areas you can buy a linishing wheel that fits on your bench grinder.

You can also buy cloth wheels and rouge which will finish the job off nicely. Tool shops will also be able to provide smaller polishing wheels.

I've done a set of Chev rocker covers and a Holden six alloy cover recently and they come up a treat. Its also VERY good for the stainless strips on FE/FC.

Your manifold looks trick, congratulations on your application to task!!!

Cheers,

Craig.

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 12:54:58 AM »

cheers guys, i think i'll look into the linishing wheel to be honest it never crossed my mind. the problem with this mainfold is though it looks like it would be simple ( largish areas) there are so many places that are really hard to get into. but it will certainly work on the tappet cover.
with some of my stainless trim i even managed to get out some small scratches using 1200 then 2000 paper and the polishing wheel. youve got to go easy on it though.

Ed, i cant wait to see it finished aswell, its been long enough. should have the head on in the next week i hope, so will post pics when its all lookin purty Grin

dean

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: