FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:31:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Which rubbers???  (Read 8989 times)
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2003, 09:19:01 AM »

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I was wondering which rubber kit is the best to get?  I need to get TC waterproof before the big treck to queensland so the windows and doors are the main target and I have heard that the RS ones are RS.....is Peter Jackson better or are they the same manufacturer?  Or is there someone better that repro's them?  Any advice is very greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cat

Zoom zoom!
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 10:46:05 AM »

Hi Cat,
I used Peter Jackson rubbers on my car and found them to fit quite well.I don't know where Rares get theirs.

Kind Regards,
Graham
craiga
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 11:00:06 AM »

Cat,

Peter Jackson (now called Spectrum) is a Rare Spares distributor and generally sell Rare spares packaged rubbers which come from Taiwan.

I am in the process of fitting a complete rubber kit and have found that the Rare spares rubbers are of excellent quality and generally good fit. However I am not completely satisfied with the shape of the front dor rubber where it meets the top of the front guard. Originally this was a moulded section but is now the same profile as the rest of the upper part of the rubber. I will be removing this section and replacing it with another profile which I think is more suitable (FJ Door rubber profile). This should hopefully stop the door rubber being forced out over time as you see on most restored cars.

To replace door rubbers (especially fronts) it is necessary to remove the doors completely, and carefully clean any old rubber and glue from the channel. Unless your really brave and have absolutely nothing else to do (like work, eat, or sleep) I reckon it's now WAY too close to the Nats to start this process.

Door Windlacing is easily replaced (took me about 1 hours to do the whole car) but bailey channels are a bit more of an effort.

If you just want to stop the odd leak take your car over to Spectrum and buy lengths of replacement rubber and superglue them in. The guys there are very helpful and patient. It might sound a bit of a quick fix, but you may find its gets them good enough for the trip to QLD with minimum effort and dollars.

Hope this helps.

Craig.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 10:24:07 PM »

Hey Craig.
Please tell me more about your windlacing installation. I bought windlacing to do the car about 8 years ago and never got around to it. Perhaps now is the time. The repro stuff does not have the little beading on the 'tongue'. This is what usually pinches behind the teeth to stop it falling out. What did you do to compensate for this if anything. More info please.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: March 21, 2003, 10:25:37 PM by custom_fc » Logged

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 11:05:17 PM »

Craig and I talked about this before he did it.  A couple of options:

- roll the excess into a bead and glue it
- roll it and staple it every so often
- sew a thin rubber strip into it

Kev (59er) did the last of these (at my suggestion, Jacky was very impressed getting that job Roll Eyes), but reckons the results were worth it.  Very firm snug fit.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 11:15:36 PM »

Alex,
When I did mine I got  a trimmer to sew a pocket into the excess and put a Stainless wire into the pocket.This made it easy to push it back up into postion.

Cheers,
Graham
craiga
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 05:23:00 AM »

Alex,

4mm plastic cover wire (from Bunnings $1.04 per metre) was glued to the flat part of the windlacing. This was then folded over and pushed into the headlining retainer using a putty knife covered with masking tape. VERY easy and the windlacing is neat and tightly in place.

Kev's idea was great, but I couldn't convince Val she could do it.....

If you want, give me a call and we can arrange a time for you to come round and we'll either do it together or I'll show you how I did it.

You bring the VB Grin

Cheers,

Craig.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 12:26:04 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.
Craig....are you talking about whipper snipper type plastic wire?
What glue did you use?
Did you install it with the fold facing out or in?
Regards
Alex

craiga
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2003, 09:15:18 PM »

Cat,

I think the wire is meant for use on a clothesline !!! I chose it because of the nylon covering, so it won't tear the windlacing material when your fitting it in to the headlining retainer.

On the windlacing there is a glue line where the manufacturer originally glued the material around the rubber. I used a drop of superglue every 3 - 4" to fix the wire to the same side as this glue line, then folded it over and pushed it in to position. This hides both the wire and the glue line for a better finish. Fold was placed to the inside, but the wire goes so far up in the retainer you can't see it anyway.

I might make it to the run on Sunday (without FC) so I'll explain it more then.

Cheers,

Craig.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2003, 10:33:39 AM »

Craig, might be a good idea to turn up to the run on Sunday as you may get a surprise Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ken
59er

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 07:35:11 AM »

I just saw the SURPRISE, very nice auto. Richard did very well.. For my windlacing my wife stitched rubberline onto the edge of the material that surrounds the foam. On the side that is longer. I got it at Clark rubber.It is very cheap and gives you the flexibility to get into the channels and under the roof lining. It has been there for several months and hasn't moved at all. "Yet"..

Good luck.When you start doing  it doesn't take long..

Regards Kev
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 07:40:12 AM »

Ken,

Actually Craig was one of the very very few who knew about it (because he'd been to the Vic AHD and seen the car in person already, I'd sought his opinion).  But everyone else who turned up to yesterday's run got a good surprise!  It was worth the wait Grin  The look on Geoff Saul's face when he found out who belonged to this unknown car was priceless!  Probably because we had our Commodore there as well (no seat-belts in the new car for the kids), none of the late-comers suspected it was mine.  Col looked pretty gobsmacked too....

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 08:21:54 AM »

Just to drag this thread even further off-topic, here's a pic of the new old girl...

cheers
RET

Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 08:41:08 AM »

Richard
   Congrtulations  Smiley Smiley Smiley      Looks realy great sorry I missed it yesterday cant wait to see it on next outing.
  WAYNE
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 11:00:12 AM »

Boy am I disappointed i didn't go yesterday no rain out west.Have to wait till the next meeting to see the new pride and joy.Looks great Ret.
Cheers,
Graham Cry
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2003, 10:43:34 PM »

Nice one Richard,

this would explain why you were "no longer looking".

v. v. nice

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2003, 06:26:11 AM »

Hey Richard
LMAO.
Wish I was there.
If Col was to close his mouth and open his garage, he too could turn up in a nice car that hardly anyone has seen. LOL.
Thanks for all the windlacing advice.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 06:27:01 AM by custom_fc » Logged

Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2003, 12:40:41 PM »

Hey Richard,
  That is one nice looking car. Will you be taking it to the nats?

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 11:06:07 PM »

Alex,

Geez that's a slam-dunk if ever I heard one!

Allan,

Absolutely, mate.  Can't wait to hit the Putty Road with those cross-plies Shocked

cheers
RET

Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2003, 02:04:25 AM »

I also can't wait to get onto the putty road, it meens we are on our way to the nat's.

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: