FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 06:12:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fitting another chassis  (Read 7135 times)
John253a
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »

just wondering if anyone has channeled floor and fitted a hq or slimmer chassis
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »

Peter fitzpatrick had a hq front rail section in his fc im pretty sure before going to the set up he has now.

But it must have had a lot of chopping as they are bloody wide.
maybe hilux or rodeo with torsion front end my mate put a rodeo under his jailbar.

John253a
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »

Yeah they are a bit wider
145mm wider and 150mm longer wheel centre to wheel centre

Just thinking may be easier to channel the car and fab flat floor pains.
And run 17 or 18" commodore wheels
To bring the track closer
chrisfc

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »

There was a discussion about using a toyota crown chassis. If you do a search it's in there somewhere.

Regards Chris.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »
+1

Hi John,

I doubt there would be any benefit at all of trying to slip a chassis under an FE or FC. some have tried... It would be far easier for registration to build a 3/4 chassis, and leave the car untouched.

You would be required to register it as an ICV, which would be very costly and difficult.

the HQ chassis is a perimeter type that widens after it drops down from the front clip and would be too wide.  The Rodeo chassis has torsion bars which would get in the way of everything anyway.

If you look at the link of the FC being built by fast lane, they have built an entire chassis from scratch... i don't know what their plans re for registration etc, but it is beautifully built.

If you just want to get it low, you can easily get minimum height with an HR front and reset leaves... you could airbag it too.. big wheels.. just tub it, or discreetly move the rails inboard and kick them up a bit for extra diff clearance.

Some unique engineering has appeared over the years but you'd need a very understanding engineer on your side.

I was looking recently at a jag front end... perhaps narrow one down to slide in under the FC, and use an appropriate rack... these are cheap and full of good gear like 4 pot brakes.

Im building a Jailbar at the moment, and considered all the chassis options mentioned... I've ended up getting a 40 Ford chassis.. first port of call was to run my plans by the engineer.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »

Ed,
   you're a wealth of knownledge and skill...i would be very comfortable and happy for you to do any engineering/fab or work on my car or fab a trailer to suit ( as seen your skills before  Shocked )

you're an asset to this forum, with a brain full of knownlegde and hands full of skills..... Just like Guru Ken ( and a lot more on here too )

this forum kicks it right out the park !!!   Grin

" Have A Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!!" SmileySmileySmiley

FE 4 ME

+1  from me ED......cheers for your input   Grin

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:36 PM »

P.S.   fchoon you're in that Guru wealth of knownledge and skills pool too...plus a whole lot more on here

Cheers Guys

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »

here a couple

yoot, someone on here might recognise the hubs as a clue to the chassis, looks ok 

pvan

a bit chunky

I think someone on the forum posted these a while ago, I have heard that an early Toyota Crown 1966 ? with a perimeter chassis is a close thing

Obviously these are 4x4's, I spoke to someone about the 4x4 option but can't recall which of them he said was closest

Gary
John253a
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »

Zulu
there all on 40 series land cruiser chassis, buy the looks of them i think 47 series

Ed
there are a few reasons im looking are at fitting a full chassis,
1st no-one will engineer a full vic reg bigger then 5ltr natural of blown unless it has full chassis
2nd when i got in contact with a local engineer i was told it will registered as a re-bodied hq and not and re-chassis fc

on another note when using a hq chassis i only need engineers for re body and not motor up to 350ci

ive also spoke to them about early hilux

and there going to get back to me as i wish to fit a blown ls3
i was told no issue with ls3 but blown is where it get hard, but a blown 5ltr is ok

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »

The advantage of torsion bar front ends is that its all there done no towers and theres actually not much in the road.

The other advantage is wide wheels on the rear you can get a lot bigger wheel as technically your not touching the rails of the FC V6 and 8s are easy to fit heaps of sump clerance steering is allready there.
with my mates Fargo worked unreal he grafted the bottom of the rodeo cab and firewall onto his fargo this gave him seat belt mounts, a bench seat, gearbox tunnel, clutch master cyl, brake master cyl, gearbox crossmember actually is nearlly perfect to get the V6 in there.
 2 holes are drilled in the box member and thats done. Shifter fits in the cutout perfect, sump clears everything.
Not that its really applicable for you to use the cab parts im just saying they are not as bad as people think.

The only downside is the car will be registered as a re bodied rodeo or hilux.
But i really think its a lot of work for little gain when you could do the torana front end mod to get the wheels inwards on the cheap or run a pat gardener one.

Either way good luck theres really no right or wrong i have mates running all kinds of weird setups its all a challenge.
Wait and see my mates FJ ute next year full chassis AWD buick nascar motor. big brakes big wheels big power. it should turn some heads.

Pete

John253a
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »

i think it will differently turn heads
i looked at pats front ends, there about 4500 at your door

if i could get a 5ltr on full street reg with reinforced rails idd settle for that
but once you factor in the ivc cost, front end, rail reinforcement and a few odd and ends
im over 10g before i even get the plasma out, and i haven't included running gear, steering or rear end yet

if i use early hilux or hq
standard engineers and running gear is used, alot of fab for new firewall and floor need to be done
but it puts the build at a more reasonably cost

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »

John, yep go for whatever you can get away with.

if you can register a 5L.. can't you get it passed first then stroke it to 350?  this would solve your 350 limit dilemma.
Fitting a V8 the traditional way in anB FC is going to be far cheaper than a rebody IMO. insert frontend, 3/4 strengthening, driveline and done.

Hoon, my rodeo is really long... way longer than an FC, I guess you'd need to shorten it to suit.  Personally I think cars which originally had a chassis are always going to fit over an alternate chassis much easier than a mono shell.  not to say it can't be done or hasn't been done... anybody got a link to Harko's past project? 

just depends how much you want to work around the issues I suppose.

I know in NSW it would be a lot more tricky to get this sort of stuff through.

Some good builds like Brettf's sedan and Jasons ute demonstrate good use of an original shell.. very tough and well engineered.

At the end of the day John, it's your project, Im interested to see progress whichever way you choose.  if you do a rebody be sure to document the build, there are very few around.

cheers

Ed

in the shed
John253a
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »

A have seen harkos 2 build both with Toyota chassis I think I saw them on the fb forum
There are a few full chassis fb on there.

Think I need to speak the the engineer some more, and get some better options and prices

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: