FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 01:55:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Terriglow paint  (Read 5803 times)
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2003, 10:37:29 PM »

Hi
Has anybody out there have the paint formula for "Terriglow 9665" or paint that is similar?
Cry
I have tried to e-mail the paint formula on this web site but my server keeps rejecting it.

Any feedback is apprieciated

Reg
Vin
craiga
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 11:22:07 PM »

Vinnie,

Sorry you had problems with the paint code link. I have the BALM paint book for the years 1950 - 1962 and there is no listing for Terraglow.

It should be noted that the paint formulae we provide are for the original type BALM (Dulux) type paints, which are now out of production due to their high lead content. Our members and others have had success with replication of original colours by using modern paint mixes (2 pack, acrylic) provided by the PPG company. PPG currently hold records which allow them and their agents to remix paint which very closely matches original colours. I would recommend your contact local PPG distributor or PPG panel/paint shop, or contact PPG head office in Melbourne.

A sample of the original paint (unfaded) could be closely replicated by any competent panel shop.

Good Luck,

Craig.
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:43:51 AM »

Craig and Vinnie,
I think Terraglow is the darker pink/terracotta-ish colour of Brett Gillards FC wagon....he might have the paint code for it....
Cat

Zoom zoom!
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 09:42:16 AM »

Hey
Yes it is a darkish pinkish colour.

Thanks guys, i just wanted to get away from walking down to the nearest paint mixing place with the car door to try and get a match.
Cheers
Embarrassed
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 09:44:36 AM by Vinnie » Logged
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 07:57:29 PM »

Vinnie,

I just got a relatively unweathered bit of colour (from inside glove box lid) and walked into my local PPG shop, and a match was made.. not the exact colour, but as Craig mentioned the original type of paint is unavailable, so it's a modern equivalent.

Cheers

Ed

PS a glovebox is lighter than a door. lol

in the shed
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 08:19:53 PM »

Vinnie,
Terraglow replaced Terracotta sometime in 1959. They are similar colours but Terraglow is more vibrant (if I can use that expression) & less pinkish than Terracotta. My wagon was originally painted in Terracotta & I still have a non-faded section of it I can scan if you like.
But like Ed mentioned a PPG shop should be able to match it up for you.
cheers,

Red & white is alright
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 11:57:48 PM »

Leigh,

That's probably a good idea in theory, but between the white-point settings of your scanner, your scanner software, your monitor's brightness/contrast/white-point/gamma settings, the lossiness of the format you save the scanned image at, and then the brightness/contrast/white-point/gamma settings of Vinnie's monitor, whatever program he uses to open the file you send him, the color settings/ink-type of his printer and the type of paper the image gets printed on before being taken down to the paint-shop before they point-sample the colour again....

You get the idea.  He might wind up with a Terraglow that looks like anything.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 05:37:22 AM »

Hi Ret
Could you repeat that, I did not quite understand. Shocked Wink Huh

JOKE JOKE.

All to tech for me.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 07:22:43 AM »

Hey
I just had a thought, what if my colour that is faded is not the true colour? or any one elses colour.  "the car had been repainted before"
Would it be a sin if i picked another, a  similar more modern colour to my liking that would match Adobe Beige? A sort of cosmetic colour face lift and would the other cars accept this or frown upon. Wink

What do you guys think?
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 12:26:13 AM »

Vinnie,

It's your car and your money - do whatever makes you happy.

And if you're worried about what the other cars are going to think Huh maybe you should ask your wagon's opinion Grin

Seriously though, unless the previous respray was part of a ground-up resto, you can usually find something on the car that would have been out of the weather (so retain its original colour) and out of the way (so not bothered with in the respray).

Have a look under the dash, and behind anything that would have been easier to mask than take off when the car was resprayed before.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 09:09:20 AM »

Vinnie - as RET says - you should do what pleases you, but be aware that if part of the reason for building the car is to show for trophies etc, then scrutineering may penalise the vehicle for being non original.  Usually scrutineering will accept colours which are very close to original but will not if they are obviously not authentic looking.

This is not to say that people will not like your car or even think that it looks better than original, it only means that it will be looked upon for judging purposes as non original.  Does this make sense ?

Ken
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2003, 11:55:38 AM »

Thanks guys
i always value other peoples opinion on matters of great importance, thanks for your inputs.
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: