FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:46:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fred and Candys Diary. Townsville to Perth 14th Nats 2012  (Read 53320 times)
fe-ambo

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »

Thanks for the updates of your adventures. I am also enjoying the updates.

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
freddyc
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »

Day 5 Tuesday.
3000kms and not one FC/FE sighted.  Where the bloody hell are you.
Left Bourke at 7.30am.  Heading to Broken Hill.  Had coffee and scones and Cobar for morning tea.  Nice little town.  Speedo clocked 10000 miles.  Came across a fruit fly sign so had lunch early, Banana sandwiches.  Lots of flood waters outside of Wilcannia.  Stopped for a RBT leaving Wilcannia.  Like any white fellar would have a beer in that town.  Very scary.  Lots of very old, run down nice buildings.  Made Broken Hill at 3.30pm.  Stopped early for the night.  Booked into the caravan park did laundry etc.  Then the sunset at the sculptures.  Lots of nice photos when I work out how to upload properly.  Having trouble with that.  Sorry.  Went to the pub that Pricilla Queen of the Dessert was filmed in.  Barman was very rude so didn't stop for a drink.  10.13pm.  Good night everyone.  PS thanks for the Mob of Roos.  Knew someone would know.

Townsville North Queensland
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »

we both have a FC as our daily drivers in Townsville and do lots of 4 hour trips from home,  but nothing like this.  Its AWESOME.  Can't wait to take my ute to Tasy in two years. I GOT A PHOTO TO WORK.  THE BEST ONE TOO.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »

Nobody told me it was minus 100 over here. I'm sure there is ice on the ground.  I can't get out of bed.  I'm the one who gets up at 6am each day.  Well the table has turned and I'm making up for it.  Fred can pack up himself.  "I LOVE TOWNSVILLE AND OUR HOT WEATHER"

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 10:12:19 PM »

Day 6 Wednesday.
Started off slow today.  Bit cold to be getting up.  Unless you are Fred then you don't feel it.  Did a few tourist things today at Broken Hill.  Went to the main lookout and checked out town.  Then went to Silverston.  Went through the Mad Max 2 museum, Old school, jail.  Morning tea at the cafe and a beer at the pub.  Worth the 25kms drive out of town.  Its the original township before it was all moved to Broken Hill.  Ghost town now.  You all have to go do the "TEST" at the Silverston Hotel.  Everyone that does it donates $2. to a great charity and gets a free beer and certificate for doing it.  Can say no more on that.  Just do it.  Left Broken Hill at 1.45pm.  Great trip to Port Augusta.  Car still travelling nicely.  Passed the vintage car/Bike rally that is traveling from Perth to Sydney for a 100 year reenactment.  Had Spaghetti Marinara for tea by the side of the road.Buggered again.  Going to bed. 

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »

Thanks for the update.
I would love to get out that way someday.
Regards
Alex

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »

Ive done the test at Silverton hotel, it's a great part of the world. enjoying your travel blog.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

Candy & Fred

Enjoying the update.

Thanks
Craig
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »

off to Ceduna.  Small trip and more site seeing.

Tailshaft_Tim
act-club

Holden Heaven

holdenorgau holdenorgau
View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »

Great Travel Diary Guys! Loving every update... glad you are taking the time to enjoy the sights along the way as well. We've been passed by three QLDers since our last update: Glenn Adams, Harry Brazier & Ron Richardson. Nearing Esperance now for a few days break after taking a week to cross the Nullabor. Really looking forward to seeing you guys again in Perth. Lets see who's FE/FC is the dirtiest upon arrival, here's our photo entry. Cheers, Tim

FE-HR Holden Owners Club ACT | http://www.oldgmh.org.au
Holden Heaven | Holden Enthusiasts Community | http://www.holden.org.au
Winnebago Baby | http://www.winnebagobaby.com
Facebook | http://www.facebook.com/holden.org.au
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

We're going to the Holden graveyard tomorrow.  Its at the start of the Nullabour 17kms of dirt road.  Can't wait.  We'll then see dirty.  Fred has got out the duct tape to tape up the camper before we leave in the morning.  I think we should be doing all the doors too.  But he won't.  No fun him.  Will give you an update as soon as we finish tea.  Freds cooking.  At Ceduna.  Had another wonderful day.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »

Left Port Augusta at 9am got a few Fruit and vegs for the night.  Lamb Chops tonight.  Bloody Boarder checks keep taking everything off us.  The WA one is going to take our honey and dried Apricots also.  Don't think we will be able to eat a hole bag of Apricots before then.  Not without me sleep in the car.  Because half a dozen is enough to set off Freds butt.  Anyhow back to today.  Small days driving doing a bit of sight seeing again.  Had to make an emergency toilet stop on the side of the road.  Off I go with the toilet paper and ok course like usual when we stop up goes the bonnet to make sure everything is ok. Which always attracks passing cars,  so to my dismay sitting with my pants down in a bush people start stopping.  Thanks Fred.  Driving along we decided to take a detour at Poochera to Streaky Bay then back through Smoke Bay where we picked up 2 dozen fresh oysters for $14.00 and then along the coast to Ceduna.  While we were traveling found a couple of FC ute wrecks in a back yard.  Stopped for a couple of hours taking photos.  Yes Ken got the numbers for you. Stopped at the Shelley Bay caravan Park where we finally got to see our first FC'er "Wrapped in bubble wrap" yes Graham you are soft.  Also met Trevor and Kathy with their ute.  Nice one guys.  Watched a lovely sunset over the water with them all.  Now getting ready for bed again.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:26 PM »

don't really have to say much about this one. Shocked

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:41 PM »

Us watching the sunset

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »

Hey Candy,

I'm too much of a gentlemen to query Poochera, but it certainly sounds like you were making like a local in Streaky Bay Grin

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

Finally got across the Nullabor.  In Norseman, heading to Esprences for the night.  Update from there.

Eaton_FE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »

Fred and candy,
When you get to Esperance, If you get the chance go out and have a look at stone henge, Its on a farm about 10km out of town, give them a ring before you head out there.

Les
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »

Day 8.  Left Shelly bay Ceduna 8.30am.  Stopped at the start of the Great Australian Bight.  At "the head of Bright" Paid $5. entry each.  To take some photos.  "DO NOT DO THIS"  Down the road you get to take great photos for free.  Caught up with Kathy and Trevor at the Nallubor Roadhouse all looking for a bit of shade for lunch.  By time we ate our lunch it was dried out.  One of the hottest, windist days yet.  Told it got to 39 ?  Went into the Nallubor National Park 98 kms east of Boarder town.  Turn right between the two Camel, Emu and Kangeroo signs.  17kms of dirt road to the homestead.  It was a dumping ground for all the cars that use to break down while crossing the Bor, FC/FE and lots more.  Surprisingly no Fords.  Weren't worth preserving.  Unlocked old buildings that you could go into to get out of the wind and rain.  Which we had both.  Now Tim you have a competition for the dirtiest car....  Caught up with Trevor and Kathy at Euclea they stayed in the motel for the night.  Made us a lovely coffee so we could keep going.  Made it to a free camping spot about one and a half hours later.  26kms East of Madura great shady spot to stay.  Lots of camping areas, Toilet no water but. 

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »

Day 9 Saturday.
Left the camp spot at 6.30am.  Big day ahead driving.  Refueled at Caiguna $2.03 a ltr,  Wow.  Start of the 90 mile straight.  Fred got his 20 likes on facebook.  Survived the straight refueled at Balladonia Motel.  Great coffee.  $5.00 a cup.  Well worth it.  Continued on the Norseman for lunch supplies and Fuel.  Yes made it over.  Posted our SOS for help.  Need a front Pinion Seal.  Continued our journey on the Esperance.  Came across a workshop open at Salmon Gums "O'Neil motors" Got 300mls of diff oil $7.00 great guy.  Got to Esperance at 3.30pm.  Fred spotted Tail Shaft Tims car.  Went down beeping and calling out, is sure he woke the baby.  Tim was out riding the push bike.  Sorry Bec.  Had a few repplies for our SOS.  Looking into it tomorrow Sunday.  Went and got a bottle of local port for the night.  Starting to get chilly.  (port weather yes)  Had dinner and then went to visit Clan Tailshaft.  Bottle of port later, time for bed.  There shout next time.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »

With the Mad Max 2 cars

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)