FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 05:16:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: front wheel camber  (Read 3965 times)
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »

My FC sedan has a standard front suspension. I has been suggested to me that a slight ammount of negative camber will lighten the steering (?). Has anyone experimented with camber angles? I would like to reduce the steering effort on my car without comproising tracking. Any suggestions? Thanks, Fraze
detective

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »

All the Holdens have positive camber built into the settings....best for normal day to day operations.  The castor settings will definitely make a difference to your lightness of steering....make sure the isolating rubbers are of the correct description and torqued down to the proper "crush".  Also be sure the extension engine mount tongue hasn't been bent at any time in the past, as this will "throw" the crossmember and can upset the castor angle....
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »

Yes I agree, castor is what lightens the steering.
Most old school front end shops that know a little about old Holdens tend to agree that slightly more castor than what was originally specified in the manual gives a better road response.

Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »

My thoughts too. Increasing castor increases the scrub radius leading to better tracking at speed but heavier steering noticeable at parking speed.

Increasing camber will improve handling and even out tyre wear under hard cornering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:35:28 AM »

Thanks for the responses. I checked the castor on my car and it is right on spec. I am loath to reduce this angle to lighten steering as the trade off with tracking is not worth it. I couldn't see how a camber change (from spec) could lighten steering but thought I would ask the question. I think I will just inflate the tyres higher! Thanks, Fraze
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »

Ha ha . Not getting involved in this one . I spent many years playing with these specs . Specs were different because roads were different ,tyres were different . We have little nos equipment to utilise . It is not difficult to set the front end close to original then trial and error from there using a variety of road surfaces and conditions . Best of luck .Haydn
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 04:55:05 PM »

The way I understand it is that crossplys are easier to steer than radials so you increase the castor angle by about 2 degrees to compensate.
This has worked for me in the past.
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: