FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:02:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Colors  (Read 3822 times)
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2002, 09:54:47 AM »

Hi all, I am about two weeks off having to make a final decision on what color to paint my FC Special. I am not wrapped in the original India Ivory and Granite Grey. I am thinking about an India Ivory flash with a red body. I have been to a couple of local paint suppliers to see if they could give me a sample of Gypsy Red, Blaze Red or Flame Red but with no luck. They dont seem to have paint records going back to the fifties.
Can anyone help with the name of a paint supplier that can help or even with the 'recipe' of these colors so I can see them for real before making a desision. I have looked at the fantastic 'painter' on the FEFC website but would still like to see the colors in person.
Does anyone in the Vic FEFC club have any of these colors on their car? and if so would they be attending the auction day? (Although I may need to make a desision B4 then Huh
Any sugestions to any color combination would be appreciated although I have a red/black interior in VG condition that I intend to put in the car so musn`t clash with that.
I only want to make this expensive decision once so it must be the right one Shocked
Thanks
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 10:04:49 AM »

The answer is yes - there are cars in the club with these colours, but I can't say whether they will be attending certain runs or not.
The best I can offer is I have photographs of cars in all the colours available for FE and FC

Ken
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 01:56:15 AM »

Thanks Ken, I would love to have a look  Shocked at the pictures of the various red car combinations. I shoud be able to get to the auction day so if its not too much trouble could you bring them along? Grin
I will also endeavor to get along to the next meeting (13-08)
Chow...
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 06:57:13 AM »

Gedday Ken,

My panel beater is coming along quickly indeed, would it be too much trouble to get a copy of the photos or maybe if you can post them to me I`ll copy them and post back. I think I`ll have to make a decision on color before the next club meeting. If this isn`t possible let me know and I`ll try to sorce some pictures elsewhere.

Thanks...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 09:11:04 AM »

Sorry, I can't help you.  You will have to go with plan B

Ken
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 10:59:39 AM »

Hey Brendan,
I've just gone through a similar exercise and I'm also a Melbournian, although I don't know the surrounding areas very well, as you'll find out.  I went out to PPG (used to be the automotive section of Dulux)  They're somewhere along the South Eastern freeway about 20 minutes from Melbourne CBD near Blackburn? (see, told you I don't know my way around) ....but they're in the yellow pages anyway.  Call Customer Service and talk to Julie or Carlo.  They've got the original books of paint chips and that should make your comparison and choice easier.  A video camera or still camera will then commit it to transferrable memory (photo) for your panel beater and the mixture of tints is listed alongside the chip itself and might give the paint shop a reasonable clue.  My panel beater said he could then get a couple of close variations mixed and spray a panel with each as a test.  (CONFESSION: I actually cheated and left myself enough time to look through Ken's vast archives.......you sure you can't stall this guy for 2 more weeks?.....there's a lot riding on it!  Could be the difference between folks remembering your old girl as "Blaze Red" or "Nappie Rash Red")
Good luck! May the F--C- be with you!  Roll Eyes

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2002, 01:49:04 AM »

Thanks Ute-opia, thats good to know.
Your description of their location is good enough for me as I`m a country boy and dont know my way around either!!! I will take your advice and stall the painter as long as possible.
It sounds as though you`re happy with the color desision you made...Well done Grin
I would still love to look at the pictures Ken at the next club meeting if thats ok Shocked
Thanks to you all for your help, chow Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: