FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE/FC Hybrid?  (Read 5674 times)
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2002, 11:28:30 PM »

...I wasn't sure where to put this kinda "identification" question but "Digger" (Steve) put a mate's FC ute in the "Cars For Sale" section and I went and looked at it this morning and noticed something I thought was peculiar.

Tony, the owner, says it's an FC and 100% original and it does say "FC" on the firewall plate but it has an FE grill and FE indicators.  Was this some sorta bitza as the models were changing over perhaps?  Shocked

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
craiga
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 08:11:26 PM »

Maybe someone can help me as well?

I purchased some front shocks for my FC and when I went to fit them discovered that the lower mount was different. Took them back to Rare Spares who checked the number and assured me that they were definately to suit FC. The lower part of the replacement shock is just a straight threaded rod, but the ones that came off the car have a eyelet type arrangement. Now the guy at Rares Spares says these are FB/EK type shocks which confuses the hell out of me because the car is completely stock (except for a red 149 ) and I am positive that the front end hasn't been replaced.

So my guess is that the car is very late 1959 and has a factory fitted FB front end, or at least the lower 'A' arms from the later model.

Can anyone set me straight?Huh??

Cheers,

Craig.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 12:57:45 AM »

This is in answer to Howie's question.  I was with Craig at RS, so he knows I can't answer that one! Wink

It sounds to me like someone's had their leg pulled about the originality of this car.  But if it is 100% original, get the engine number and compare it to the chart you can find here:
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/enginenos.html

• If the number is somewhere very near L439507, then I guess it's possible that it is a hybrid.
  • Check the chassis number.  If it doesn't start with an '8', then there's no way this thing could be original.
  • Verify the other codes on the ID plate that the colour and trim inside and out match the actual car.

cheers
RET

PS - It couldn't be 100% original, because FE utes had no front indicators ex-factory.  98% original, perhaps....  Grin

[edit: added post-script]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2002, 01:02:18 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 01:30:07 AM »

Hi Craig
Those shocks from Rares will fit, but you'll need the original fe/c lower shock mounting plate,
"Plate assembly, pt no.7411469" The plate bolts to the bottom of the shock with a rubber bush either side, then the plate bolts to the wishbone. The original owner might of had trouble getting original fc shocks and fitted the later model ones instead, which do fit the fe/c front end, you just don't use the original lower mounting plate.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Tony  

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
craiga
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 01:43:19 AM »

Thanks for your response Tony.

Sounds like this is the answer. Rares Spares replaced the shocks no problems so I'll just stick with the later models ones.

Cheers,

Craig.
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 06:38:08 AM »

Hi Ute-opia,

I spoke to Joe about the front being a FE and he has found that his brother had swaped the front gaurds and grill over on him about 10 years ago,  Huh
NOT HAPPY JAN  Angry Angry Angry

Hope this clears things up.
Also the car sold on Sunday for $2,600.00

Regards,
Steve.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 07:45:12 AM »

Craig,  your car is the 3rd model FC so it is possible that it is a late one,  if you let me know the body number or chassis number I'll tell you the build date.

Now to the tecky stuff.
If your front wishbones have a nut welded in the bottom in which you insert a bolt to hold the shocks in, then they are FB/EK (possibly very late FC).
If the wishbones have a bolt welded in the bottom then they are FE/FC with FB/EK shocks fitted

As "I had a V8" says, There is a small plate attached to the bottom of the FC wishbone via the above mentioned bolt and they are interchangeable.

The reason the FE/FC shocks were superseded was because the bottom of the shock gets broken off when you run over something.

Ken
craiga
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2002, 08:12:43 AM »

Thanks Ken.

Chassis number is FC61328M.

Two bolts protrude from the bottom of the lower 'A' arm to which the lower shock is mounted.

Sounds like FE/FC with FB/EK shocks.

If anybody else comes across this and fits Monroe Gas shocks then you will find that you need to file a small amount from the inside of the shock hole on the lower 'A' arm - this basically increases the diameter by about 1 mm. This is required for the larger valve body of the gas shock to clear the 'A' arm.

Cheers,

Craig.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2002, 08:58:41 AM »

Craig your car is 25-11-1959 plus or minus 3 days.
I have a lot of data from Melb cars around this date.
Yep sounds like your car has later shocks fitted to the original front end.

By the way - I just spoke to the new owner of the hybrid FC ute on the phone.  He is very happy with his new purchase.

Ken
craiga
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 09:08:28 AM »

Thanks Ken.

Hail the guru  Grin Grin
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2002, 12:21:13 AM »

Ken,
I didn't realise the science was so precise!  Can I get mine old girl carbon-dated as well?  Here's my particulars:

Body=2106-7471M
Chassis = FC55221M
Engine = 587870
Paint = 256-205
Trim = 194-649

Is there any sure-fire way of telling if the donk was originally with this chassis?

I'm sending off my AOMC today to see if they can find my original rego!

All hail the guru!  Grin

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: