FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:17:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FITTING GRILLE AFTER PAINTING ?  (Read 8870 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 09:16:25 PM »

I have searched through previous threads to find help to my dilemma, but seem to get conflicting opinions, so I'm putting the question up for discussion again...

I need to have my front fenders attached to the car BEFORE painting, as there is a slight gap where the top of the fender meets the cowl vent panel.  I want the panel beater to fill this gap in and paint over it all....BUT I'm reading that you have to fit the fenders AFTER the grille.  Problem is, with the grille fitted, I can't slot the motor in, and I can;t fit the motor until the car is painted !

So I got out the trusty old manual, and is says ( to remove the grille ), just undo the bolts attaching the grille to the fender, and "EASE" the fenders away to remove the grille.   So I'm not wondering if I can fit the fenders in place, get the car painted with the gap problem fixed, and then somehow EASE the fenders aside a few mm to allow the grille to pass through.

If I paint the fenders off the car, then I'll hace a big gap as mentioned, and if I pull the fenders off after painting to allow me to fit the grille, I'll crack the filler in the gap.

I'm hoping someone can confirm that you CAN paint the car with fenders on, and still fit the grille afterwards Huh?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Mark
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:49:55 PM »

Mark
        Why would you want to fill the gap between the guard & cowl panel if you ever damage a guard in the future you will have to redo the whole thing again.
But if you want to go that way you could always modify the grills frame so you could install & remove the grill while leaving the fenders in place.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »

I fitted my FE's grille after painting (flying blind, first timer) I eventually found all the bolts in and around the grille area and took most out and left a couple in so that it did all fall in a heap. Eased the panels apart and slotted the grille into place.

I would recommend masking the panels around where the grille goes in. As careful as I was, I still chipped the paint in one spot. A second pair of hands would also be handy as it can get tricky.

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 12:06:20 AM »

G'day Mark,

Maybe a couple of ways out of this...

When I was putiing the Van together I painted the engine bay first as well as the inside of the car. This allowed me to then refit the motor and get it running (Had a ball driving it around Cairns airport, not seats doors bonnet guards or tailgates... Or exhausts) then took the whole lot to be painted.

With the grill, I am not sure whether the FE is different to the FC but I put the frame for the grill in first, then fitted the guards and then finally fitted the grill in last... Lots of fiddly little screws and a bit of swearing later and it was fitted up. I think in some of Ed's photo's he has the first part of the grill in if you want a look.

Hope this helps

Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 12:15:28 AM »

Thanks Jason.....that was actually my next question......do you fit the grille up with all the chrome stuff and then fit as a whole unit, or do you fit the frame first, then attach all the chrome trims to the frame afterwards ?

I've just been given the hurry up by the spray painter....it seems that my car is next in line ( if I decide to go ahead with his quote )....If I don;t book it in, in the next month or so, he will have to take on the next project in line and that will put the next window of opportunity off for over a year maybe 2 !

I'm in the country and good spray painters are hard to come by....I also trust this guys work as he painted my Mini Cooper......looks like I'm going to have to get my arse into gear and start stripping that paint.

KIWI, if you are reading this, looks like I'm going to need that panel pretty soon...can you please post it to PO BOX 1036 MANJIMUP WA 6258 and get hold of me re: payment.   I'm good for it.....if not I'm sure Trev would beat it out of me for ya !

Cheers

Mark
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 01:36:19 AM »

No sorry, I havent got my grille frame in either,
I had the same questions as Mark.

interesting thread.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 02:24:22 AM »

Mark,

There shouldn't be a gap at the cowl- fender junction unless one or other has been repaired incorrectly, and my advice would be to fix this up prior to proceeding with paint. Filling it would make it look like an obvious mistake, unless the car is a custom.

I have installed a grille with the guards "eased" as you note, however the end result was unsatisfactory with regards to paint chips. Further, if you do fill the gap you talk of, the "easing" will more than likely crack the joint.

This is probably not the answer you wanted, however, the end result shall be better, and that is what you shall remember as time goes on.

Edward

gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 04:05:20 AM »

Hi guys,
As far as I'm aware when the cars were being built in the factory, the guards, bonnet etc, were painted off the car, and then assembled later. I think the guards & grille were assembled and then put on the car as a unit. Maybe Ken knows for sure?  Huh

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Graham.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 04:34:25 AM »

Graham is quite correct.

In the "Greg Norman's 50 Years of Holden" documentary, there is a brief shot of FEs being assembled in the factory, that quite clearly shows that the guards and grille (both frame and chrome) had been pre-assembled prior to fitting to the body.

However, as Mark noted, the Workshop manual says to ease the guards apart to remove it, and obviously it doesn't suggest further disassembly to re-install it!  So the maintenance procedure is quite clearly different to the initial assembly procedure, when the paint would have been fresh and pristine (and needing to be kept that way!)

I would be inclined to try the complete pre-assembled apron method, as long as I had enough pairs of hands available to do it carefully...  That way you've got plenty of flex at the back of the guards (and nothing that can get scratched at the front), rather than trying to get some 'give' at the guard/cowl/door join after the guards have been fitted to the body.

Having said that, they only time I've had to do this the condition of the paint afterwards was not of major concern :-/

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 08:36:13 AM »

Here is the benefit of my experience:
If you fill the gap between the guard and cowl with filler and then paint, it WILL crack later on.  NOT maybe or might, it WILL.
I did this on one of my earlier cars and it cracked, then I did it again and it cracked, etc etc.

The only way to not get cracks is to weld the join up, then fill.

Now your problem - the easiest way to install the grille is after the guards are partly assembled onto the car at the back.
If this cannot be done the next easiest is to assemble the frame only into the car by easing the guards apart (not as easy as it sounds) then install the chrome.
Dont install the grille first and then try to put the guards on as you will get lots of scratches.
If you weld the back of the guards, you may find it easiest to modify the grille frame as suggested to make it easier to install as I dont believe you will be able to spread the guards enough without a porta power.

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 10:05:03 AM »

It's been awhile since I had the grill out, but I have done so a few times over the years. From my recollection, it was not so much spreading the guards, but spreading the front of the subframe assembly that was difficult. Had to use a bit of force.
When I assembled after painting, I inserted the grill frame first, followed by the guards, then added the chrome to the grill. Still need to be carefull.
Regards
Alex

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 07:54:45 AM »

So from the above experiences, would it be feasable to REMOVE all the front panels/grill in one piece and then re-fit them as a whole as in the factory photo mentioned?

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 10:24:35 AM »

yes it would but I've never tried.  I think you would need at least 4 people to do it without scratching things

Ken
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 08:30:37 PM »

I have done it successfully with 2 people. Although the first time I'd forgotten to take a photo before fitting the guards, so I took them off to take a picture & then put them back on  again. It all went fine the first time, but the 2nd time I got some small chips/scratches around the grille  Cry Cry

Cheers,

Graham.
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 12:54:17 AM »

I did the job successfully by having the grill fully assembled and spreading the guards also with the lower panel removed requires 2 people but no scratches.
Good Luck.
Cheers,
Graham
julius
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 04:54:29 AM »

Hi

If you want to fill the gap, then my suggestion is to get the car painted fit every thing up, fit your front doors set your gaps, then remove the doors then weld up your gap lead or plastic finish it then take it back to the painter and have it touched up the repair. Then refit your rubbers and doors.

Job done until you happen to smash it.

Otherwise modify the grill cradel so it slides in.

Regards

Julius
Bullarto

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 11:42:54 AM »

I agree, lead filler, surprisingly flexible for it's strength.
The engine probably goes in easier with the gearbox attached, simply because the two people under the car have got something to grip onto well before the bulk of the engine enters the bay. So better control (less scratches).

I have done this type of install with an A frame lifter and me under the car getting my chest crushed under the weight in my younger days in a freshly painted engine bay, so it can be done.

And yeah 4 people (sober) to do it.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: