FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 06:06:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Couplertec  (Read 6683 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »

I was looking at putting this system into the babies. Living on the coast is always an issue !
Has anyone installed this device  Huh
Nick
This is their spiel
CAR 2WD Heavy Duty "Self Fit Kit"

Price per Unit (piece): $450.00    (including 10 % tax)   

Ask a question about this product

This heavy duty system has been designed to suit all two wheel drive vehicles such as Hatchbacks, Sedans, Large Wagons and Vans. Offering a higher level of rust protection than that of the standard two wheel drive system, this Heavy Duty system will protect larger two wheel drive vehicles including those that reside in Coastal regions and that are located within a very close proximity of the beach, or which are occasionally driven on snow covered roads where de-icing salts and chemicals are being used.
This system will also help to slow corrosion in older cars that may have existing rust. IMPORTANT - as good as CouplerTec is, it is NOT a miracle cure for badly rusted cars. CouplerTec systems can however slow down the process by approx. 80%

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »
+1

nothing beats fish oil and tectyl im very sceptical of electronic rust prevenatives.

But i could be wrong .

pete

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »

Is this system Cathodic Protection  Huh Huh .....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:55:47 AM »

yeah I think so... charges the car to prevent the oxidation of the steel.

Port Macquarie NSW
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

Nick, I have similar issues...

it's a lot of money to spend to find out yay or nay though.  I live near the water and my ute is suffering....

I find once a year I need to go over the car and just brush paint the underbody with kill rust.  my bonnet release catch even rusts closed!!

every scratch just flares up with rust within a week.

i fish oil the insides of doors and so far so good.

if mounted to the chassis, it would protect the areas which have an electrical contact (if it works).

Im interested to know as well.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Mc Bean

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »

Hi Nick

This is only my opinion, Being a panel beater for over 25 years I would not buy any form of electronic rust protection. I haven't yet seen or heard any evidence of these devices stopping or slowing down rust.
CouplerTec systems can however slow down the process by approx. 80%, to me that sounds like your car will still rust BUT not as much.
As Pete says a Tectyl or cavity wax Heated a little (to run easier) and sprayed with  a rustproof gun to get into sills,doors everywhere is my proffered solution.

As for chips and scratches, try to touch them up as soon as possible, and any bear metal I would wipe over with Inox or similar product.

Remember this is only my opinion

Andrew

Andy
57effie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »

For my two bob's worth, I have spent a lot of the last 33 years on the beach in a variety of vehicles.I have used a variety of different treatments and Electronic corrosion protection for me delivered the best results but they were fitted to new vehicles with no corrosion to start with. They wont stop existing corrosion from spreading and scratches, chips and surface rust still have to attended to regardless.
Simply put, different metal parts have different potentials, that is voltages like the + and - of a battery, and when moisture and oxygen are added the chemical effect is when corrosion occurs. Corrosion can still occur in dry joins up to a point. The electronic units have a series of pads that are applied to different panels around the vehicle and are wired in series thru the unit to eliminate a difference in potential between the panels and thus eliminate corrosion (theoretically anyway).
For new vehicles electronic is the only way to go because they enhance the corrosion coatings that modern cars are treated with but for older cars old fashioned remedies are best.
Flowing types of treatments are the best, not the paint on types that dry but stuff like Fish oils and lanolin based stuff. You can bleed them right into seams rather than just over coating a join and leaving a pocket for rust to start in.  They arent a permanent treatment so you need to keep re-applying but this helps you monitor any corrosion problems you might already have and these products will also halt the spread of anything already existing.

Thats my experience anyway.

Mark
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »

Thanks for all the replies and the insights.
Looks like I'll breakout the lanolin and fish oil.
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »

Nick, try an find something with the smell removed!!! might cost you more but so worth it. I used suppa cheap stuff and it stank out the car for months.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: