FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 06:52:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Original Steering Wheel Restorations  (Read 6395 times)
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2003, 03:08:42 AM »

Im wondering if any one who has restored an fe/fc on the forum has actually restored there Standard original steering wheel , or had someone restore it for you .. If so who did it for you , and whats the approximate cost , no doubt it varies on condition of steering wheel. I wish to get mine recoed as it is showing signs of its age , And has some minor cracks (as most do). If I cant get it done , Ill attempt it myself , so whats the best thing to fill in the cracks and also What type of paint is best to use as a top coat on the steering wheel. I just want to paint it Black. Anyone who has done there own ,please tell me  your secrets to a good job or if you know someone who does this , please give there Name and contact details . Any help much appreciated.

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 03:21:10 AM »

Slim,

Harko's done it, and posted some instructions - just what you're after.

Check out this thread.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 03:53:28 AM »

Thanks , That pearlcraft looks pretty good to me .

59er

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 04:46:44 AM »

Slim, Hi bud.. I did mine as well. It was hard work by hand as mine had a lot of paint on it. I sanded it back to the light brown base(resin I think). Fill all cracks(on the wheel) with body filler. re sand. Take it to a spray painter and it should only cost about $30.00 to get it sprayed in 2 pak. Mine come up great,Good feel and look. Make sure you fill the gaps as otherwise you can get airbubbles. Sth.Penrith Smash in Batt street,Penrith did mine but I'm sure you would have a contact closer. You probably could do it with a sander but I wasn't game enough. Especially around the knobby grip bits on the rear of the wheel. Hope this helps ya. See ya soon Kev..
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 09:16:46 AM »

Hi Slim, My steering wheel was done by a panel beater friend of mine. It was done as a favour cause I have lost count of how many power points, fans and garages i have wired for him and his family.

He does a run of them for the early ford guys occasionally, if you like I will ask him if he is doing some soon, he was charging around $160.00. He lives at Bargo

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 10:27:17 AM »

If KEV did his own , It cant be to hard , If I stuff it up , Ill take you up on the offer of your mate Chris , THANKS . I might also get one Pearled by Pearlcraft just to be different , I know FE/FC wheels werent Pearled , But God they look Sharpe .

59er

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 05:47:30 AM »

Mate,Bloody Ha,Ha. You know I'm a legend with cars(in my dreams anyway) Your exactly right,If I can do it anyone can. You wouldn't have any probs mate, see you soon Kev.
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 06:16:22 AM »

An uncracked steering wheel fell into my lap literally today , so All I have to do is Paint it . How cool is that !

59er

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 09:48:19 AM »

Beautiful bud,right place right time !!.I think Graham Fuller is going to resto his wheel as well. Have a pow wow . Regards Kev.. Shocked Shocked Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Wink Smiley Cheesy
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 09:31:52 AM »

I contacted Pearlcraft about Steering wheel and they emailed me today . For a pearled FC steering wheel with one colour pearl begins at $460 , 2 tone pearl wheels begin at $560 . Does anybody have one done by this company and whats the verdict . They look very desirable on there Website .

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 10:10:31 AM »

Slim.
Look closely at that site & you will spot a car we all know. Simon (aka: Gree) has his green machine there. You may want to ask him, as having it on the site suggests he was happy.
RJ

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2003, 08:03:27 PM »

I assume thats the FC dash with the EK steering wheel in the picture

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2003, 08:32:19 PM »

Yep,
that's the one.