FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:57:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Running out of fuel up hills  (Read 2552 times)
Siggs

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »

Hi guys, I have just re-fitted the engine in my Fc after re-build, its a warm 186 with twin downdraft strombergs, loving every minute of running her in but am finding that once tank fuel level gets to about 1/3 she starves for fuel when going up longer hills. I have been introduced to the somewhat embarassing fuel gauge peculiarity with the model so I'm not relying on the gauge and really running on empty  Roll Eyes when I fill the tank she runs perfectly up hill and down dale, I understand there is a pickup pipe inside the tank, I'm wondering if this might be fractured and sucking air when tank gets lower and fuel runs to rear of tank when going up hill ? Anyone had similar issues or any ideas would be appreciated.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »

I think you hit the nail on the head fractured line in the line id say .

Pete

Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »

The fuel tank in our ute had a broken pickup pipe that was several inches short and so did not pick up the last 2-3 gallons of fuel. Don't know how it was broken as was like it when we got it. Symptoms sound similar i.e. runs out of fuel when there is clearly plenty in the tank.

I finally determined this by rigging up a 1 litre can full of fuel with hole punch in top with a fuel hose touching the bottom of the can and feeding to the fuel pump. I wired the can next to the radiator. The car then ran fine for the full 1 litre of fuel - not a particularly safe way of doing things but I was considerably frustrated by the same problem. I then worked back checking until I got to the fuel tank. Pulled it out and removed the fuel sender and there was the problem looking at me  Sad

It's not a particularly hard job to remove the tank, takes about 10 mins.

Cheers,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Siggs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »

So....... assuming  I rip my sender unit out, have a look and find my pickup is cracked or broken how do I fix it, I assume it would be neccessary to split the tank to access it let alone repair ?
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

Our ute did the same, it ended up being a LOT of crap in the tank.
Remove the tank and clean it out well if you haven't already.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: